Author Topic: Tobruk, El Alamein & Sketchy Family History!  (Read 4180 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Tobruk, El Alamein & Sketchy Family History!
« Reply #36 on: Friday 25 November 16 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Agreed, the photo our OP uploaded is not of ANZAC troops.

Agreed that it is best to wait for the actual document before accumulating secondary sources re the various campaigns of WWII that may have involved our OP's family member.

ScouseBoy had mentioned:

Sipsi,        Using the Search box at the top of  the page. Type in "Dday dodgers" and go to the thread with that title,   I think you may like the photos on there?
and
There is another thread with a similar name that has more photographs  similar to  the Original Post  on THIS thread.

Thank you for finding that one   anyway.     Even today,   not many people realise  how fierce  and ruthless  the Italy  Campaign actually was.

JM   
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 01 December 16 16:36 GMT (UK) »
I must have missed something?

Were the original photos of Anzac troops  - or have we really gone that far off topic?! :-X

While  the name  was Australia, New Zealand  Army Corps  (ANZAC)   during WW1,    during WW2  they  were  under the jurisdiction   of  their individual governments,   Australia    New Zealand
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 01 December 16 22:30 GMT (UK) »
I must have missed something?

Were the original photos of Anzac troops  - or have we really gone that far off topic?! :-X

While  the name  was Australia, New Zealand  Army Corps  (ANZAC)   during WW1,    during WW2  they  were  under the jurisdiction   of  their individual governments,   Australia    New Zealand

Excuse me, sorry for diverting off the OP's quest, BUT ....  ANZAC 'the name' was a shorthand coined acronym developed during WWI, and it has become the word used to symbolise the unity and co-operation between the peoples of the seven former British colonies of New Zealand and the Federation of the Commonwealth of Australia.  That co-operation did not start with ANZAC, and it has never been restricted to just Military or to war-time.  In the 1880s and 1890s, when the Constitution of Australia was being considered, debated, drafted, etc ... provision was made for NZ to be one of the founding colonies to be federated in the Commonwealth of Australasia.  NZ declined, but Western Australia signed up instead.     

:) from the NZ Papers Past digitised (New Zealand) newspapers (free to search) I link a cutting from 5 October 1942 https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/EP19421005.2.17 Evening Post, Volume CXXXIV, Issue 83, 5 October 1942

:) from the Trove digitised (Australian) newspapers (free to search) I link a cutting from 20 July 1942 which gives a report about the  troops at the Alamein Line under the heading ANZACS HOLDING ON.   http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/94825717

I apologise for diverting off topic, but please ScouseBoy, during WWII, all the Allied forces were, at least in a formal sense, answerable to Mr Churchill, and his War Cabinet.  The individual governments raised the forces, and the funding, but the decisions were made in Britain.  Singapore fell (Feb 1942)  because of delays from Churchill et al in authorising the release of Australian military forces from the Middle East.  The Australian government did not have constitutional authority (jurisdiction) to act independently until it had adopted the Statute of Westminister.  It was adopted in respect of Australia via the Australian Parliament's Act 56 of 1942, signed 9 October 1942.   

Please don't mishmash history that is part of the first hand knowledge of elderly living Australians with elderly living cousins in New Zealand who had siblings, cousins, next door neighbours who served. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 01 December 16 22:39 GMT (UK) »
At one point  during the WW two campaign in North Africa  The Commanding officer  of the Australian Division in Egypt had the right  to refer any orders  from the Allied commander  to his government.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 01 December 16 22:50 GMT (UK) »
SB, did you find those RChat threads you mentioned earlier? the ones with photos that may help our newbie OP?

I think it might be best to wait till the OP gets the service record to see where Uncle actually did serve before we go recommending books on a subject which may or may not be relevant and which the OP may or may not be interested in.

There is another thread with a similar name that has more photographs  similar to  the Original Post  on THIS thread.

SB, it is quite frustrating when you recommend "other threads" but do not supply links to these threads. Am I right in thinking that you do not know how to supply links? If this is the case, have a look at majm's "live link" - you write search terms in the box. If you need more help just ask.

Here it is again,

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=search

JM

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 01 December 16 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

As previously said, the small portrait is definitely RTR although which is not clear. I'm still working on the group photo.

I think it's past your bedtime ScouseBoy, time for your horlicks.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 01 December 16 23:00 GMT (UK) »
I think it's past your bedtime ScouseBoy, time for your horlicks.

John915

:D :D :D :D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 01 December 16 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Back again,

I have tried blowing up one of the badges but they all go out of focus. I've tried with a magnifying glass but not much luck.

However the corporal in the centre looks to have sphinx collar badges.So from the general shape of the cap badge I think they may be Royal Lincolnshires.

The sphinx on it's own doesn't really help as quite a few regts have it as part of their badges or other insignia.

John915
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 01 December 16 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Back again,

Tobruk garrison 27th Nov 41 had the following RTR on strength. 1st, 4th, 7th, 8th, 42nd and 44th.

John915
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)