Author Topic: Politics in the Province of Canada 1860s  (Read 421 times)

Offline USCRx

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Politics in the Province of Canada 1860s
« on: Wednesday 23 November 16 01:56 GMT (UK) »
My g-g-grandfather, the Hon. Andrew Jeffrey, represented the Newcastle Division in the old Legislative Council from 1860-1863. Here are a few comments about his political leanings:

He was said to be "an ardent and consistent Reformer throughout his life."
    He was also said to be "a Ministerial supporter."
    "He always took a very warm interest in Provincial politics, and ever took a firm stand in the liberal cause."
    "He was the Reform Candidate for the Legislative Assembly in the year 1848."
    "In the year 1859, he attended the Provincial Reform Convention in Toronto, where he acted in the capacity of chairman of the committee on resolutions, and submitted to the convention those resolutions, affecting the constitutional relations between Upper and Lower Canada, which were afterwards introduced to the House by the Hon. G. Brown."

Since I live in California in the U.S., these descriptions have no meaning to me. Would someone please explain to me what the political leanings were of my g-g-grandfather, and the significance of them?

Thanks,

Jim Jeffrey

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)