Author Topic: Transport Strickland  (Read 2818 times)

Offline Pat38

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Transport Strickland
« on: Wednesday 23 November 16 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I have come across "Transport Strickland" on a Baptism for Dominick Higgins baptised on 8 November 1857 at Kilmovee RC Church. His father is James Higgins and his mother is Bridget Higgins. Sponsors are Patrick Higgins and Sabina Cafferky. At the end of the Baptism it states "Transport, Strickland" where the Townland usually is. What is "Transport, Strickland".
It is also mentioned on other Baptisms around the same time.
I obtained this information from the Kilmovee Baptisms-East Mayo
Thanks
Pat Berry
Higgins, Griffin, Duffy, Comer, Donnelly, Hearne, Henry, Woodside, Hague, Greaves, Davison, Mooney, Rockley, McKenna, Byrne, Berry & Barnacle.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Transport Strickland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Can you include a direct web link to what you are asking about??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 10:59 GMT (UK) »
LINK to original register
I wonder did the parents work for or live with the STRICKLAND family

The STRICKLANDs were the land agents of the DILLON family in Loughglynn
Familys were displaced by the STRICKLANDs in the mid 1850s - there may be a connection to this movement of people as well
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Pat38

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Hallmark
The Kilmovee Baptisms-East Mayo was a download i got from the Mayo Genealogy Group on Facebook.
The same information is on the Catholic Parish Registers at the NLI. Here is the link:-
http://registers.nli.ie/pages/vtls000632352_010
Thanks
Pat Berry
Higgins, Griffin, Duffy, Comer, Donnelly, Hearne, Henry, Woodside, Hague, Greaves, Davison, Mooney, Rockley, McKenna, Byrne, Berry & Barnacle.

Offline Pat38

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 11:16 GMT (UK) »
LINK to original register
I wonder did the parents work for or live with the STRICKLAND family

The STRICKLANDs were the land agents of the DILLON family in Loughglynn
Familys were displaced by the STRICKLANDs in the mid 1850s - there may be a connection to this movement of people as well
Hello   I will see if I can find any info on the Strickland's. I have just come across this Dominick from Uggool and his marriage to Kate Carty in January 1901 and was interested as his father was James Higgins who was a deceased Farmer in January 1901. There are 2 James Higgins's in Uggool in 1901 one of whom I think was my Great Grandfather. I am wondering who this other James is and his wife Bridget Higgins (maiden name). I couldn't see a Marriage for James Higgins & Bridget Higgins prior to 1857. Thanks  Pat

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Can't make it out too well.. had a quick look for other examples, didn't see any

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 12:01 GMT (UK) »

Offline Pat38

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Hallmark
I had a quick look again on the download I have of Kilmovee Baptisms-East Mayo and it looks like the first instance of Transport Strickland is on 8 March 1857 when Maria daughter of Pat Regan and Rose Frain was baptised. Her sponsors were Maria Glavey and Michael Frain.
This is the link

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632350#page/13/mode/1up

The last one with Transport Strickland appears to be on 20 May 1859 when Bridget daughter of John McKeon and Catherine Granan was baptised. Her sponsors were Tom Granan and Mary

The ones in between were 5 April 1857- O'Neil, 17 January 1858- Flannery, 28 February 1858- O'Connor, 28 February 1858- Towey, 10 October 1858-Carty. (This Carty is an interesting one as this was the family that Dominick Higgins married into.
Regards
Pat Berry

Can't make it out too well.. had a quick look for other examples, didn't see any

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 November 16 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Dillons owned extensive land in Mayo and a house at Loughglynn
The Stricklands were their estate managers and instigated several evictions or movements of people from one part of the estate to another.
I wonder is the reference made for families that originated from somewhere else and were not formalised with a new address hence "transport Strickland"?
You would have to check the names of the families and the time periods involved.

There is an online reference that "When Lord Dillon's agent Strickland was improving the grounds around his lodgings he moved five families - Duffy, Morris, O'Gara, Regan and Rush families from Castlemore to a townland at the other end of the County called Ballyglass beside Kiltullagh Hill not too far from Ballyhaunis" this was between 1837 and 1856.  I notice REGAN is one of the baptisms.

Link to piece on Stricklands with further link to the houses they lived in
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder