Author Topic: Re-Turnbull/Hounam from Langholm  (Read 2972 times)

Offline fiveboys5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re-Turnbull/Hounam from Langholm
« on: Thursday 24 November 16 00:21 GMT (UK) »
My Great Great Grandparents were Thomas Turnbull born 1829 and Ann Hounam born 1829 in Langholm, Dumfries. I have found out they are both buried in Old Church Yard, Langholm. I know nothing about Thomas's parents, the only information I have was he died in 1861 in Langholm, and had six children. His Son Joseph born in 1855 is my Grandfather and he married Elizabeth Smithwhite in South Shields, Durham.
Could anyone help me with the parents and siblings of Thomas. As far as I know he was a boot/shoemaker in 1851, and lived in Drove Road. I need help in locating someone who knew the family or are related to Thomas or Ann.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Re: Re-Turnbull/Hounam from Langholm
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 November 16 02:47 GMT (UK) »
For the benefit of others searching, this is the marriage:

Thomas TURNBULL to Ann HOUNAM 07/12/1849 Langholm (Scotland)

Unfortunately I'm unfamiliar with Scottish records of the time and how much information is on them. The marriage is transcribed on FindMyPast so I suspect nothing more is present.

I don't know how flexible your dates of birth* are for Thomas and Ann, but I did notice this one for your consideration:

Thomas TURNBULL son of Robert TURNBULL and Margaret GRAHAM, ch. 4/1/1825 (aged 0) Eskdalemuir, which is apparently about 2 miles from Langholm.

* Edit- just looked up the census and he seems to be fairly consistent, doesn't he? Of course, that can mean he's consistently wrong but it is certainly awkward! He appears to be in an institution in 1841 (unless he was just in a large household or there's a transcription boo boo, I can't actually see the image), which could account for his age being off if he was misinformed about what it was.

There is a possible burial for Robert TURNBULL
TURNBULL, ROBERT ----- aged 44 - 30/03/1840 - 839/30 340 - Langholm or Staplegorton

I can't actually find a marriage of a Robert TURNBULL to a Margaret GRAHAM, any other children of that couple, or anything relating to Margaret, although in one way that might be a "positive" thing because it all might contribute towards him ending up alone by 1841.

If you've got any Scotland's People credits, it might be worth seeing if there's an image of the christening to look at to see if it gives any signs of him being illegitimate.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 November 16 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat the family were still at the same address on the 1861 census
Thomas Turnbull age 32 boot /shoemaker
Ann Turnbull age 31
Thomas 11,James 8, Elizabeth 6, Joseph Edward 4.
There is a death for Thomas Turnbull 1861 age 32 in Langholm or Staplegorton you can view this record on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and that should give you his parents names
Rosie

Added Thomas and Ann and son Thomas were in Charles Street Langholm Dumfries on the 1851 census

Offline jonn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 November 16 20:59 GMT (UK) »

Hello All,

I am afraid someone has got their family mixed up Joseph Turnbull, born 5/Nov/1856. langholm, Dumfries, to parents Thomas Turnbull, and Ann Hounam, never left Langholm, Dumfries. Joseph Turnbull. married in Langholm, lived in Langholm, all his life and died in Langholm.

Regards,
Jonn.

Offline fiveboys5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 November 16 23:35 GMT (UK) »
John I have Joseph Turnbull's Birth Certificate and Marriage Certificate, on his Birth Certificate is Thomas listed as his Father. My Nanna is definitely the daughter of Joseph Turnbull, he was married at the age of 19 in South Shields. My Uncle years after my Great Grandfather died found the family and links were formed, and some of the family members visited South Shields. Something happened long before I was born and the family split. Plus we have the family tree matched to that of an online Genealogy site with members of my family linked direct to Joseph. Other family members have the same information as I have recently discovered. I am planning to visit Langholm some time next year and check out all the information that is available and maybe I might finally find Thomas Turnbulls's parents and information on his siblings.
I have tonight received an email from someone who actually lived in Langholm and the information he sent matched with what I have.

Offline lanercost

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 November 16 00:36 GMT (UK) »
From the death cert, hope it helps: Thomas Turnbull, shoemaker, married to Ann Hounam. Died June 2, 1861 at Drove Road, Langholm. Parents were James Turnbull, stocking frame work knitter, and Elizabeth Rill (might be Roll or Bill, it's hard to read). Died from (can't read) 21 days, congestion of brain 14 days. Informant was John Hounam, brother in law, Charles Street, Langholm.

Offline lanercost

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 November 16 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Checked out of curiosity: July 26, 1878. Marriage for Joseph Turnbull, slater (master), bachelor, to Agnes Clark, power loom weaver, spinster. He was 21, living in Kirk Wynd, Langholm, and parents were Thomas Turnbull, shoemaker (deceased), and Ann Hounam.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 November 16 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Checked out of curiosity: July 26, 1878. Marriage for Joseph Turnbull, slater (master), bachelor, to Agnes Clark, power loom weaver, spinster. He was 21, living in Kirk Wynd, Langholm, and parents were Thomas Turnbull, shoemaker (deceased), and Ann Hounam.

That was very kind of you using your credits on S P ..and this Joseph and his wife Agnes were in High Street Langholm Dumfriesshire in the 1901 census occupation slater ...

Looks like the other Joseph Turnbull was in South Sheilds in the later census birth place Edinburgh

Fiveboys Is this them in Adelaide Street South Shields Durham in the 1901 census ?
Joseph Turnbull age 46 occupation coal miner ..born Scotland
Elizabeth Turnbull age 50
Ralph , Elizabeth ,Helen and Joseph
Rosie

Offline jonn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 November 16 13:26 GMT (UK) »

Hello All,

This is the son of Thomas Turnbull, and Ann Hounam, in the 1881 census two years after his marriage to Agnes Clark, in 1878.

Address. 110 High Street, Langholm, Dumfries.

Joseph Turnbull, Head, Master Slater, M. age 24 years, M. born Langholm, Dumfries,
Agnes Turnbull, Wife, M. age 23 years, F.  born Langholm, Dumfries,
James Turnbull, Son,  age 10 weeks, M. born Langholm, Dumfries.

Regards,
Jonn.