Author Topic: Re-Turnbull/Hounam from Langholm  (Read 2971 times)

Offline fiveboys5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Re-Turnbull/Hounam from Langholm
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 26 November 16 22:04 GMT (UK) »
I am away from home at the moment and will not be back home until Monday for me to check the Marriage Certificate. But I am sure it just says Thomas deceased.  It could well be my Joseph but I do not know. A cousin I rang this morning said that the family had links with Galashiels. How on earth could he have ended up in Glasgow. I have no one in my family who can tell us as our Nanna Died when we were young I was only four at the time. But If only the records my Uncle had had not been stolen along with the family bible I may have had something to go on. My husband just tonight said we should check the local paper archive for announcements of the forthcoming marriage of Joseph to Elizabeth, and also at the Church. Problem is the Church is unknown to me as it was just listed as a Catholic Chapel. But I was told my Nanna was baptised in the Church of England and was raised as such. This Catholic Chapel, is not know even by my husband who is a Catholic himself. A lot of Churches in South Shields have long since gone and some of the records have been sent to Durham Cathedral, according to my friends husband, but does that include Catholic and other denominations in the local area? We will pay a visit to our new local library who have records of Churches, Burial Grounds, along with lots of of other records like local census and streets etc. As it is newly opened I will have to find out who can help us look for the right records. In the meanwhile I will certainly look into the information you have given me and see what comes of it. Thank you.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 27 November 16 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Yes have another look at the certificate to see what it says for his father ..That is only a possibility for Joseph in the census for Glasgow in 1871 ..as there seems to be some confusion where he was born
Rosie

Offline fiveboys5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 28 November 16 19:18 GMT (UK) »
I have now checked the Marriage Certificate Joseph Turnbull married Elizabeth Smithwhite on 13th August 1874. He was 19 and she was 21.  His occupation if I am reading it correctly is a Labourer. His Father is listed as Thomas (Deceased) and is a Labourer.

I can see where my Son went wrong. But try as I might I cannot find a single piece of information linking Joseph to Thomas and  his place of Birth. My husband is going to join another Ancestry site and see what we can find. My son is coming in the morning but I doubt he will have time to look.

I am so frustrated and so sorry I have given out the wrong information and wasted everyone's time. I am so grateful for all your  kind suggestions. Not being at all experienced in looking for information I left it all to my Son. I really do not know where to begin and where I look,  following links on  Ancestry leads me up the wrong path.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 28 November 16 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Don't feel bad we all make mistakes the problem you have is not having enough information ...Better finding out now .
Rosie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 28 November 16 21:56 GMT (UK) »
I think we are all just sorry we can't find anything further for you at this stage  :-\

You are with kindred souls here! We have all became frustrated at various times in our own research and made wrong turns along the way. All part of the learning process really  ;)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk