Author Topic: George McGavin  (Read 1791 times)

Offline Northern Gen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George McGavin
« on: Thursday 24 November 16 16:24 GMT (UK) »
I'm currently working on the Scottish branch of my family tree and am hoping someone may be able to help.

I'm looking for information regarding George McGavin, b. 1852 in (I believe) Johnstone. He was the youngest son of Robert McGavin (a blacksmith) and Jane Montgomery Reid. I have found him on the 1861 and 1871 census, but after this point he disappears. In 1861 the family were living at 68 High Street and in 1871 they were living on Walkinshaw Street. In 1871 George's occupation was given as "apprentice at Works". If anyone can shed any light on the McGavin's that would be great, or enlighten me as to what the "Works" were that would also be a massive help.

Thank you in advance!!  :)

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: George McGavin
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 November 16 17:21 GMT (UK) »
"Works" is such a broad indistinguishable name.

Walkinshaw Foundry and Engine Works would be the closest; next the Cartside Foundry or possibly the Cartside Forge.  A long shot would be Banktop Engine Works.

http://maps.nls.uk/view/74964113 

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Northern Gen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 May 19 20:35 BST (UK) »
I’m having another go at trying to find out more about George McGavin. He was born in 1852 in Johnstone,Renfrewshire and was the youngest son of Robert McGavin(a blacksmith) and Jane Montgomery Reid. I have only managed to find him on the 1861 and 1871 census and would like to find out what happened to him after this. He had three older brothers, all of whom left Scotland, so I have looked for George in other UK census records but have drawn a blank. Hopefully someone reading this might be able to help and point me in the right direction.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 June 19 16:44 BST (UK) »
Duplicate post on Scotland General board
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=814645.msg6756606#msg6756606

Thread locked , please reply on link above.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)