Author Topic: William Beckwith marriage 1849 Canada.  (Read 1492 times)

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Beckwith marriage 1849 Canada.
« on: Friday 25 November 16 05:47 GMT (UK) »
Looking for the marriage of William Beckwith born 1814, Halstead, Essex, England.
Married Miriam La Forte 1849 Canada. I think they had 8 children, Mary Beckwith, Sarah Elizabeth Beckwith, Dorothy Beckwith, Jesse Beckwith, Agnes Beckwith, Cecelia Beckwith, Edmund Beckwith, William Beckwith.  Thank you.

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: William Beckwith marriage 1849 Canada.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 November 16 13:19 GMT (UK) »
This family resided in North Crosby Township, Leeds County, Ontario and are easily found in the 1851, 1861 & 1871 censuses.  Their religion was Wesleyan Methodist and no marriage record can be found, but the children's birthdates from the baptism records are:
Sarah Elizabeth 17 Sep 1851
Charles Henry 5 Mar 1853 .............mother's name recorded as Mary, not found in 1861 or 1871
Mary J 5 Dec 1854
Dorothy 7 Dec 1856
Jesse 2 May 1859
Agnes 26 Dec 1860
Cecilia 16 Jan 1862
William 4 Apr 1865
Edmund 25 Jul 1867

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 November 16 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Family found in Granby, Oswego County, New York in 1880 & 1900 censuses.

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 December 16 01:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you manawakian. I have now found them in census but still not sure if the same William, the age and timeline is right but census does'nt say from where in England he came, need to try and find emigration records to narrow it down. Thanks again.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 December 16 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Census or immigration record would not list the place in the UK that the family came from. Early immigration records give very few details.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 December 16 11:32 GMT (UK) »
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 December 16 13:48 GMT (UK) »
How do you connect the William Beckwith living in Canada with any William Beckwith born in England?  If you have no convincing proof that he is the same William Beckwith found in the 1841 census from Halstead Essex you should let people on here know this from the start. 

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 December 16 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Oh sorry I wasted your time, slap my wrist and give me 100 lines. The whole point of this exercise is to try and find a connection and on the realms of possibility that the Canada William and the UK William were both born 1814 in England seams to be a reasonable start. Not all of us have the resources to do the look-ups so we ask for the kindness of others to help.

How do you connect the William Beckwith living in Canada with any William Beckwith born in England?  If you have no convincing proof that he is the same William Beckwith found in the 1841 census from Halstead Essex you should let people on here know this from the start.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 December 16 03:36 GMT (UK) »
William Beckwith is found on the 1892 New York State Census but Miriam is widowed by the 1900 National Census. 
Usually the town clerk is responsible for issuing death certificates.  I have purchased two such certificates from St. Lawrence County in New York at a cost of $20.00 U.S. each time.  It had to be by mail.  Both times the offices were helpful and I could at least confirm from the certificates the father's name of the deceased party.
You have a narrow range of years for William's death.  It would be worth it to email the town clerk's office for their response.