Author Topic: Colonel James Nicholson  (Read 3603 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Colonel James Nicholson
« on: Friday 25 November 16 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Im looking for any information about Colonel James Nicholson the father of Augusta Foster Nicholson. Augusta was baptised June 16,1790 at Great Staughton, Huntingdon and her mother was Jemima. Augusta also had a brother but he died circa 1881 as did Augusta. Augusta had married a theatrical performer John Giles February 22,1810 at Bradden, Isle of Mann.

I have a marriage between James Nicholson and Jemima Foster December 30,1784 at St Andrew Holborn, Middlesex. Jemima was baptised  November 15,1761 at St Saviour, Southwark, Surrey.

Augusta Giles, nee Nicholson and John Giles had only one child namely John Foster Giles who wqas baptised March 11,1811 at Saint Mathew, Douglas, Isle of Man. I have his marriage records and everything else I need for John Foster Giles.

Anyone able to find out when and where Augusta's husband John Giles died. I know nothing about him other than his marriage record and that he was for a time a comedian in Sarah Bakers theatre in Tunbridge Wells, Kent . I also have the court case regarding his elopement and subsequent marriage to Augusta and in this record is mention that Augusta's father was a Colonel at the Isle of Wight. I would presume he was in the army. I don't know anything else about him apart from his marriage to Jemima which stated he was a widow and she was a spinster. I have no information about his first wife who I believe was the mother of Augusta and that Jemima was her step mother.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Colonel James Nicholson
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 November 16 17:28 GMT (UK) »
I am puzzled?

You have posted this under Isle of Man, and yet mention Isle of Wight in relation to Colonel James Nicholson?

The only Isle of Man link appears to be the marriage at Braddan in 1810, and subsequent baptism in Douglas in 1811?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 November 16 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Yes but Im looking for information about John Giles in addition to Capt Nicholson so the marriage in 1810 and birth of a son 1811 applies to Giles.

Perhaps Colonel Nicholson in addition to being at Isle of Wight was at Isle of Man also?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 November 16 10:36 GMT (UK) »
www.imuseum.im has a few entries for Giles.

26th April 1811, burial of Arbusta (sic) Foster Giles, alias Nicholson, aged 29 years
at Braddan
(the alias is the usual Manx way of stating a maiden name)

And the 1811 baptism of John Foster Giles.
Other records date from 1830 and later.

If John was on the stage ( as a comedian) he could have traveled anywhere?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 November 16 11:04 GMT (UK) »
I found this statement, re the history of IoM tourism:

Following the 1765 Act of Revestment and the effective cessation of the 'running trade', a , or possibly 'the' , major source of earnings for the Island suddenly ceased. By the 1790's a new source of revenue had started - the Island was seen as a cheaper place to live for half-pay officers but also thanks to the 1737 act re debtors, a safe haven against off-Island creditors. By the 1810's the Island had gained a poor reputation as a haunt of debtors that was only remedied by the 1814 Act that removed any future impunity.

Which might explain why John & Augusta were in the island?
1810/1811 was a bit early for Tourism and Theatre.

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 November 16 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you KGarrad

Yes Mr Giles was part of a travelling troup of entertainers . He was in Tunbridge Wells in 1809 as a comic performer with Mrs Sarah Bakers Company. She had a theatre in Tunbridge Wells and about 11 others in other parts of England.

Regarding the burial of Augusta Foster Giles.......What information can you find about the cemetery she was buried in and any possible headstone photo or transcription ? Any obituary for her?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 November 16 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Not seeing an obit on iMuseum?
But I can check next week at the Museum - where Newspaper access is free!

As regards a headstone, Braddan Old Churchyard, and Braddan New Churchyard are fairly close, so given a sunny day I can pay a visit.

Braddan New Yard was established by the Braddan Burial Ground Act 1848; so I suspect she is buried at Braddan Old Church.
I know (from a previous visit) that there is a grave list inside the church.
Braddan New Yard is massive (by Manx standards, anyway ;D); the Old Yard will be easier to search ;)

The Tourism industry on the IoM didn't really kick-off until the 1830's?
That's why the bit about debtor's was interesting, I thought? ;D

If you can PM me with your email address, I can send you a photo as, and when, I find something.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 November 16 15:31 GMT (UK) »
I visited Old Kirk Braddan today.
But the older gravestones (like yours) are pretty much unreadable?! :-\

If I can find that map of the graveyard, then I stand a chance of finding the headstone.

But I have to say that it was a bit weird walking around a graveyard with a longtail keeping me company! :o

(longtail = a manx rodent, bigger than a mouse, whose name rhymes with a feline! It's considered unlucky to say the name!! ;D)

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 November 16 18:39 GMT (UK) »
http://www.naomiclifford.com/lord-hardwicke-marriage-act/

Tab down to "Sources".

The various reports of the elopement in 1809 is a great read.