Author Topic: Burial 1965  (Read 609 times)

Offline vidlerr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial 1965
« on: Friday 25 November 16 18:02 GMT (UK) »
If a person (Valencia Ellen Downey) died in Cowley Road Hospital in Oxford in 1965, what are the most likely place(s) where they would be buried. She was CoE and local to that area.

Thanks
Robert.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
Re: Burial 1965
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 November 16 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello Robert,

I grew up very near to the Cowley Road Hospital.  Were you are aware that it closed around 1983, and are you able to visit the Oxfordshire History Centre where the surviving records are now stored?

The nearest Anglican church with a burial ground is St Mary & St John.   I have a CD from Oxfordshire Family History Society who transcribed some of the parish registers, but unfortunately the burials stop at 1929.  Ancestry have now released most of the county's PRs online so you might find something there.  If you're not a subscriber to that site, I could have a look for you on Tuesday 29 November when I'll be visiting our local library.

There were also municipal cemeteries in Headington (closed 2003)and at Rose Hill (closed earlier, I think).  Again, the CD transcripts stop well before 1965 and these records aren't online, so you could try the History Centre for them as well.

Oxford Crematorium opened in 1938 and is still in use (I was there in June for a family funeral).

Presumably you have the death certificate - where was she living before she went into hospital?

I hope this will give you some ideas.  I have to go and eat now but will try to think of more suggestions.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline vidlerr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 November 16 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Carol,

Thanks for the information you have provided.  I did see that the county archive have some death records for the hospital, but I was wondering if they included the burial arrangements and/or who managed the funeral/cremation?  My local library has Ancestry so I will look at what they have on Oxfordshire.

Thanks again
Robert.

Robert. sreco

Offline vidlerr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 December 16 07:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello Carol,

I found from the death certificate that the lady in question actually lived in Bicester, so I may try any local cemeteries or crematorium there.

Robert.