Author Topic: William ROBERTS/John ROBERTS 1800'S Wales  (Read 2733 times)

Offline LEMB

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William ROBERTS/John ROBERTS 1800'S Wales
« on: Friday 25 November 16 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi!

i have been searching for information for AGES and i am really hoping someone on here can help me!? It started with William Roberts and now its stretched into a wide search on his family tree!!!  :)

so far, the information i have is:

John Roberts born in 1772 - 1842 29th December (Aged 70)
He was a Timber Merchant and he is buried in Churchyard, Banger Cathedral.

Elinor Roberts born in 1774 - 1851 19th October (Aged 77)
She lived on Beach Row, Bangor and was a Proprietor of Houses.

John and Elinor then went on to have 3 sons and 5 daughters.
One daughter they had was Susanah Roberts, born Jan 15th 1813.

Susanah also married a man named John Roberts (born 1808), they married in 1834 June 24th and they had 6 children in 16 years. John also became a Marina in 1851, aged 43.

The children were:

Mary Roberts (born in 1842/43)

John Roberts (born 1837/38) - he was a shoe maker in bangor when he was 24yrs old.

William Roberts - the boy who is the reason for this entire research! (born 1842/43) i also have his death certificate, he was buried in St Marys Church in Conwy.

Evan Roberts (born September 1845) - he was a Mariner at around 16yrs old.

Robert Roberts (born 1847/48)

Susanah Roberts (last child, born 1851)

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFORMATION ON THIS FAMILY? OR PICTURES? JUST ANYTHING AT ALL TO MAKE MY SEARCH GROW.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.  :)

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William ROBERTS/John ROBERTS 1800'S Wales
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 November 16 14:18 GMT (UK) »
It would be so much easier for people to help you if you could put where everyone was born, as well as the dates you have supplied. 

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 November 16 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Two possible deaths in the family, neither appears on the 1861 Census. Susannah Roberts born 1851 Bangor, buried 13/4/1852 age 1 year 4 months at Bangor, Abode Hughes Street, Bangor & Robert Roberts born 1847 Bangor, buried 3/4/1852 Age 4 years, Abode Hughes Street, Bangor. Quite a few children also in the records died in that area at that time.

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 November 16 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
In Ancestry Masters & Mates Certificates I can find only one John Roberts that might fit your father of William Roberts. He was born in 18 Oct 1808 and the birthplace was Nevin (Nefyn). His "Mates Certificate" is dated 1855 not 1851, he has used an 1851 "Claim for Certificate of Service" form but the record covers the period from 1820-1855.
If this is your John Roberts, then from Yffor.com there is a record of baptism in Nevin which might be his.

ID      DATE            CHILD   Father   Surname  Occu.     Mother
 2683  18/12/1808  John      Robert  Griffith      Mariner  Jane   

Note: it appears Roberts is, therefore, a patronymic name.

Glyn
Jones - Penmachno/Blaenau Ffestiniog/Capel Garmon
Thomas - Abererch/Porthmadog
Evans - Llangelynin/Llanaelhaern
Jones - Pwllheli/Abererch
Brammer - Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline LEMB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 November 16 21:48 GMT (UK) »
It would be so much easier for people to help you if you could put where everyone was born, as well as the dates you have supplied.

Hello,

apologies that i hadn't put where everyone was born! i know from my own research that William Roberts was born in Mount Pleasant, Wales? that's all the Vicar could tell me at the time, he said the whole family lived there :)

Offline LEMB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 November 16 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Two possible deaths in the family, neither appears on the 1861 Census. Susannah Roberts born 1851 Bangor, buried 13/4/1852 age 1 year 4 months at Bangor, Abode Hughes Street, Bangor & Robert Roberts born 1847 Bangor, buried 3/4/1852 Age 4 years, Abode Hughes Street, Bangor. Quite a few children also in the records died in that area at that time.

Wow! i've been spending days trying to find out if Susanah and Robert lived longer than what the internet could tell me, looks like they didn't! poor kids :( i know William had died from Consumption, which was common in them days apparently! So i wonder if Susanah and Robert had died of the same thing?! thank you so much for helping me!!

Offline LEMB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 November 16 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
In Ancestry Masters & Mates Certificates I can find only one John Roberts that might fit your father of William Roberts. He was born in 18 Oct 1808 and the birthplace was Nevin (Nefyn). His "Mates Certificate" is dated 1855 not 1851, he has used an 1851 "Claim for Certificate of Service" form but the record covers the period from 1820-1855.
If this is your John Roberts, then from Yffor.com there is a record of baptism in Nevin which might be his.

ID      DATE            CHILD   Father   Surname  Occu.     Mother
 2683  18/12/1808  John      Robert  Griffith      Mariner  Jane   

Note: it appears Roberts is, therefore, a patronymic name.

Glyn

Hi! :)

Yes, John Roberts born in 1808 is Williams Father, which is who i was hoping to find more information on but then i'd recently found information on all of them all at once! thank you so much for sharing the website with me and for supplying this information! its amazing, thank you again. I can see on the ID part you've mentioned that it mentions John's parents!? is that right? i'll look into it now but WOW, thats been a mystery for some time!!!

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 November 16 15:53 GMT (UK) »
You mention William Roberts was buried in St Mary's, Conwy, would you like me to have a look to see if he has a headstone, as it happens to be my Parish Church ? In Conwy Library they also have a list of everyone buried at the Churchyard and you can sometimes find a few more bits of information from that. It would help if you give the information that is on the death certificate such as dates and address at time of death.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 November 16 16:22 GMT (UK) »