Author Topic: Death notice puzzle, 1838  (Read 1659 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death notice puzzle, 1838
« on: Saturday 26 November 16 00:16 GMT (UK) »
I have just discovered a death notice in an Essex newspaper which has thrown me slightly and wonder if anyone can offer any advice.....

Jonathan Foreman, my 4* great grandfather, 1771-1843, had 6 children (as far as I know) with his first wife Susanna(h). Their eldest daughter was also Susanna(h), though I suspect she was baptised as Anne in Shenfield in 1806, and she is buried with her parents in St Mary the Virgin in Chelmsford.

The inscription says '.... also of Susannah, eldest daughter of the above Jonathan and Susanna Foreman who departed this life 11 March 1838 aged 32 years...' and I have the death certificate confirming the death of Susanna Foreman, on 11 March, informant Jonathan Foreman.

Tonight, browsing the newspapers, I spotted this in the Essex Herald of 27 March 1838...
  20th last, Mrs Lockwood, wife of Mr Lockwood, of Goat Hall, Galleywood Common [and on a new line]
  Lately, Susannah, daughter of Mr Jonathan Foreman, of the same place.
I am assuming the 2 lines are linked as the 2nd one doesn't make any sense on its own.

Another of Jonathan and Susanna(h)'s daughters, Catherine, married John Lord in 1836. One of the witnesses was a James Lockwood, who was living with John and Catherine Lord at Goat Hall in 1841. James Lockwood died in 1849 aged 73, death registered by Catherine Lord. 

So both the name Lockwood and Goat Hall have got me wondering....  could daughter Susanna have been married to James Lockwood despite the age difference, and could her death have been registered as Susanna Foreman if she was married to a Mr Lockwood. And obviously the dates are slightly out.

In posting this I have realised that the MI doesn't give her surname, but the death certificate does (I wouldn't have found it otherwise!). I've not been able to find a marriage for Susanna to a Lockwood, though I don't have current access to the SEAX records. And I can't see a death registered of a Susanna Lockwood.

Apologies for the long post and I hope it makes sense; if anyone can offer any help with this puzzle I'd be really grateful. I am seriously hoping that I haven't got two very similar named families mixed up, especially as I had some doubts about a family mix up when I found 2 different death notices for Jonathan - covered in the early part of this topic... http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=648905.0

Many thanks for reading.

Deirdre

CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death notice puzzle, 1838
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 November 16 06:21 GMT (UK) »
It's simply a listing of area deaths.
1 Mrs. Lockwood wife of Mr Lockwood of Goat Hall, Gallywood Common
2 Susanna Foreman  daughter of Mr. Jonathan Foreman of the same place.

Image 16 St Mary' Chelmsford
Susanna Foreman abode Gallywood Common buried 17 March 1838 age 32. (#201 in register)

Offline hsfam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 November 16 06:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The GRO Death index for Chelmsford, Essex in the March quarter 1838: Mary Lockwood

There is also a burial record (transcription on FindMyPast) which states:

Name: Mary Lockwood
Burial Date: 24 March 1838
Place: St John the Evangelist, Moulsham, Essex.

As James Lockwood was born about 1776, I would have thought she would be more likely to be his mother than his wife. It would be interesting to see the original burial record to check whether age transcribed correctly or if there is any other information available.

So, she is unlikely to be your Susanna Foreman.

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 November 16 06:28 GMT (UK) »
The parish register says Mary Lockwood was aged 83yrs and from Galley Wood Common.
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 November 16 07:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone, makes sense now. Think I was confused by the 'lately' and assuming it referred to Susanna rather than the date.

As Mary Lockwood was about 20 years older than James and buried at Moulsham rather than Great Baddow where James is buried, it does look more likely that she is his mother.

Thanks again.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 November 16 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Not that it matters particularly as the Lockwoods aren't my direct ancestors, but having checked my records i don't think Mary was James' mother .... i believe his mother was Hannah Lord, an aunt of my John Lord, who died in Stutton, Suffolk in 1779 when James was only a few years old.

She must have been connected somehow as she died at Goat Hall too, but probably too difficult to untangle 😳

Edited: not that there appears to be a death / burial of another male Lockwood in the area though, assuming Mr Lockwood was alive at the time of the death notice, and only James* was at Goat Hall in 1841 🤔

* edited.... James was the only Lockwood at Goat Hall in 1841...

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 November 16 09:54 GMT (UK) »
There's certainly a Foreman connection to Goat Hall, as there's a newspaper report of the Chelmsford Assizes of 2 April 1838 when Mr S Foreman of Goat Hall accused a local labourer of the theft of a quantity of his potates

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 November 16 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mabel, i believe that would be Jonathan's son Stephen.

Offline hsfam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 November 16 20:38 GMT (UK) »
I noticed when looking at the original 1841 census that there seemed to be 3 separate properties associated with Goat Hall.

I have seen this before. I have a family of farmers who lived in Halsall Hall in Halsall, Lancashire. There, too, the census showed three different properties for Halsall Hall. It turned out to be some old manor house that had been converted into 3 apartments/semi detached homes. In fact, you can still find it on Google maps with associated photos.

So you can have different families being mentioned to ostensibly live at the same place but in fact may not necessarily be related to each other at all.