Author Topic: Nicholson family  (Read 651 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nicholson family
« on: Saturday 26 November 16 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Im looking for any information about James Nicholson  who married Jemima Foster December 28,1784 parish of St Martin in the Fields, Middlesex. Jemimas age given as 21,a spinster. James was a widow.

Known members of the Nicholson family was a daughter Augusta Foster Nicholson, baptised June 16,1790 at Great Straughton, Huntindon daughter of James Nicholson esq and Jemima. Augusta had a brother referred to in the following obituary " On the 24th of September last (1811) in Plymouth Sound, on his return from Portugal, Captain Nicholson, brother to the last Miss Nicholson w, who married Mr Giles, late of Mrs Baker's Company of Comedians, of Maidstone, and who died four days previous to her attaining the age of 21, leaving an infant son. By her death the brother became entitled (as the only surviving legatee) to her portion; it is understood his return to England was to take possession of this funded property, leaving the father (John Giles) qand infant son (John Foster Giles) under many pecuniary and unavoidable embarassments, by the sudden and immediate death, the infant becomes entitled to the whole of its mother's portion".

Augusta Foster Nicholson married John Giles Feb. 22,1810 at Bradden, Isle of Man.

The marriage between James Nicholson and Jemima Foster took place December 30,1785 at St Andrew Holbourn, Middlesex. One of the witnesses appears to be Elmer Foster, perhaps her father. Jemima Foster was baptised November 15,1761 at St Savior,Suthwark, Surrey (names of parents not given).

In a legal case involving the marriage between Augusta and John Giles it was stated that in 1808 and no doubt before that time the Nicholson family were of Worcester. In 1909 Colonel or Major Nicholson was believed to be in the Isle of Wight, while in that year his wife Jemimn and daughter Augusta were visiting Tunbridge Wells , and it was while there that Augusts met John Giles and eloped with him and was persued by her mother and others. August was to inherit some 14,000 pounds upon reaching the age of 21 and at the time she eloped to be married she was a ward of chancery. Her inheritances of 14,600 pounds were stated to stem from the death of eight relatives since 1803.

Any information about the members of this family would be appreciated particularly for Augusta's brother Capt. Nicholson who died in 1911 and her parents. She may have had other siblings but I have no information about that.

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Nicholson family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 November 16 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Colonel Nicholson was in the Isle of Wight in "1809" not 1909 (typo error)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 November 16 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Sorry...another typo error..........Captain Nicholson,Augusta's brother,  died 1811 not 1911

I seem to be all thumbs on the keyboard this morning

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 November 16 14:33 GMT (UK) »
I found from a family tree some information about the brother of Augusta Foster Nicholson that is relevant to my inquiry.

Augusta's brother who died in 1811 was Elmes Squire Ludlow Nicholson (1788 London-1811). I found his will dated April 10,1811 which gave him as a Lieutenant with the 29th regiment (probably the 29th Worcester Regiment of Foot). His will is only two paragraphs long and mentions leaving the bulk of his estate to his father James Nicholson, esq. which he had inherited by way of the will of Elmes Foster (1755-1795)(who was the father of James Nicholsons wife Jemima Foster)  but also refers as beneficiaries " my sister Augusta Giles (nee Nicholson) and her infant son John Foster Giles.

I also found a Peninsula Roll Call list giving " Elmes S.L. Nicholson, 29th Foot". He had served in the Battle of Albuera in the Peninsular War, a battle on the border of Portugal and Spain. Another document said he had been in Portugal and was on his way back to England but died as per his obituary.

I have not found a baptism/christening record for him-can anyone find it? Also looking for a burial record for him.