Author Topic: Canonbie Church MIs / Burial Records (George Wilson)  (Read 2488 times)

Offline David Lea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Canonbie Church MIs / Burial Records (George Wilson)
« on: Sunday 27 November 16 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning

A few years ago I visited Canonbie Churchyard in Dumfriesshire to search for the grave of my 2 x Gt Grandfather, George Wilson... it was a very large cemetery, with many gravestones hard to read... sadly I couldn't find it.

I later found a photo of the gravestone on the internet (I can't now find the site again!) with the transcription...

"In memory of George WILSON who died at Harelaw Garden 22nd December 1874 aged 48 years. Also Eliza wife of the above who died at Blackpool in 24th April 1908 aged – years and is interred in Blackpool cemetery. Also Agnes who died 28th September 1855 aged 20 months. Also Helen who died 6th May 1874 aged 9 years. Also Mary who died 25th March 1878 aged 27 years. Also Agnes who died 15th September 1879 aged 23 years."

This is definitely the grave I was looking for and in the next few days, I am in the Canonbie area again and would like to re-visit the churchyard again and try to find the grave.

I just wondered if anyone had burial / MI records / plans for Canonbie Church which could perhaps help me to find the location of the actual grave? As I say, it's a very big graveyard and a little bit like trying to find a 'needle in a haystack' if I don't have a clue where to start!

Any help gratefully received.

David

Offline robbiesmum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Canonbie Church MIs / Burial Records (George Wilson)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 November 16 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi David
from the photo it looks as though you can see the gravel path at the right of this stone?
So i think if you enter the churchyard by the front gate and walk up the path to your right, you should be able to find this stone close to the path.
cheers
Bridget
http://www.longtown19.co.uk/

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 November 16 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi, David,

Hopefully the direction from Robbiesmum will find it. As a back-up, the last couple of paragraphs on the following page give possible people/places to contact regarding the gravestones:

https://canonbiechurch.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/20-spring-14.pdf

The photographer mentioned, Howard D Mattinson, even made a few posts on Rootschat in 2010 under the username HDMattinson:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=29304.90

Hopefully he is still contactable one way or another.

Cheers,
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline robbiesmum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 November 16 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Howard Mattinson is still taking some fantastic photos, for those who are interested in locations in the borders, especially round the Canonbie area:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/letsbikeit/albums

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 November 16 12:08 GMT (UK) »
HD Mattinson hasn't been on rootschat for a few years, but if he still has the same email address you can try contacting him:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=100805
(I hope that link leads to where you can send him a PM)  :)

Offline David Lea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Success!!

Many thanks to robbiesmum, McGroger and Ruskie because thanks to your very helpful advice, I found the grave in question today!

Just as robbiesmum had suggested, the grave was right beside the gravel path (I must have walked right past it last time I visited!).

We had just been attending a wedding at Gretna Green, so it was a pleasure to find my 2 x Gt Grandfather's grave afterwards and lay my button-hole flower on it in remembrance.

Thanks again folks for your help.

David

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Great result David - thank you for letting us know.  :)