Author Topic: Chapel Place, Northampton, 1836  (Read 831 times)

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Chapel Place, Northampton, 1836
« on: Sunday 27 November 16 18:20 GMT (UK) »
So this is rather an odd-ball query  :-\: a birth announcement in the Northampton Mercury of 2nd July 1836 describes a gentleman I am researching (the baby's father) as "of Chap. place" (I assume this to be "Chapel Place") and since I have no idea why he then might have been there or what profession (if any) he was then following, I thought I might try to learn more about the character of this street to see if that provides any clues -- eg was it a purely residential road, and if so how wealthy would you have needed to be to live there?  Were there any trades/businesses then operating in this road -- and, if so, what was their character?  (I have browsed the 1841 Pigot's Trade Directory and did not spot any trades/businesses, so perhaps it was purely residential?)  Does anyone know, is it possible to do a search of this street in 1841 census to see the type of people then living there?  (Unfortunately, my gentleman had himself moved on by then).

Would be very grateful for any pointers anyone can give me about the character of this road -- possibly someone with local knowledge? 

Many thanks.

CELTIC ANNIE
PEPLOE/PEPLOW: Shropshire, Inverness
DAVIES: Inverness, Montgomeryshire, Ruabon
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire
TROLLOPE: Warwickshire, Middlesex
TAYLOR & McKAY: Montreal, Canada

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Chapel Place, Northampton, 1836
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 November 16 18:32 GMT (UK) »
This is a link to an old map albeit 1899 http://maps.nls.uk/view/114479753#zoom=5&lat=10183&lon=12905&layers=BT

In 1841 lots of shoemakers, some labourers, bakers, plasterers and a few other trades

Kay

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 November 16 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your trouble, Kay -- although I have to say this is not at all what I was expecting!  (I assume you were able to -- and, very kindly, did -- access the '41 census records for this street, and got the information about the trades represented in the street from there?)  My gentleman was educated -- likely very well educated; and had (about a year before) made a very respectable marriage.  Hmmm!!

The map is very interesting and helpful. Thank you very much for posting it.

CELTIC ANNIE
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire

Online sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 November 16 20:08 GMT (UK) »
I had a look at the Birth notification, and the birth took place at the Mansion, Gayton, which I take it was Gayton Manor.  And yet the ad says William Hughes was "of Chap-place, formerly of Merknich, Invernesshire, NB" So - Chap-place is where? Northampton, or somewhere else?
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Offline simon tree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 November 16 20:20 GMT (UK) »
My 3x great grandfather ran a curriers here in the 1880s

Simon

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 November 16 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Prawn Cocktail, in the announcement -- which is in a Northampton newspaper -- the word 'Chap.' comes at the end of a line and there may be a full stop after it (or certainly a dash to link it with first word of next line).  The next word, although it has no capital letter, is 'place'.  I am assuming, therefore -- although I am very well aware that it is an assumption -- that 'Chap. place' is 'Chapel Place', Northampton.  If anyone thinks it might have been some place else readily recognizable to readers of a Northampton newspaper at this period, then I should be very interested indeed to hear about it!

The property at Gayton referred to where this baby was born is the (now defunct) Gayton House -- not to be confused with the beautiful manor house that still exists there.

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 November 16 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Chapel Place just doesn't seem like the sort of place I would have expected this guy to live, that was all. At the baby's baptism (in Gayton), he was described as "gentleman".
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake