Author Topic: Army Pensioner Patrick Young  (Read 2332 times)

Offline Windwolvz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Army Pensioner Patrick Young
« on: Sunday 27 November 16 20:06 GMT (UK) »
I am currently researching a Patrick Young who died on Bridge St., Sligo (town) in 1904 and was listed as an army pensioner.  My question is, where would you look for records of his service?  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Army Pensioner Patrick Young
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 November 16 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Windwolvz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 November 16 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Yes, excellent!  That is the Patrick Young I was looking for.  There is no birth record for him but I have much evidence leading to Dromahair area as his place of birth.  He first appears (outside of his service record) in Sligo at Ash Lane in 1867 where he marries Elizabeth Thompson.  On the marriage record he is listed as the son of James Young and his occupation is a 34 year old pensioner.  George Young was a witness at the marriage, a point I'll make in a second.  That would put his DOB around 1833.  In the right ballpark.  Elizabeth is from Leitrim as well, born in Roosky to a parish clerk named Joseph Thompson.  In 1868 they gave birth to their daughter Amelia Anne and then nothing confirmed until 1872.  That year they were in Caddagh Glebe near Dromahair where they gave birth to their son James.  This was at the same time as George Young was also in Caddagh Glebe and was marrying Margaret Hamilton.  George has no history prior to or following this marriage that I can confirm so far other than the birth and death of their first child George in 1872, the year of their marriage, and he is also of great interest to me.  So, after much activity that year, Patrick then heads back with wife and kids to Sligo where on the 1901 census, he is found as a boarder working as a shoemaker and living separately from Elizabeth.  She is with her son James and his family.     

What I would really like to know is whether there would be more of a service record for him somewhere of his time with the Royal Artillery in India.  Where would I look?  I would hope that it would have listed his next of kin.  If I am on the right track, his father had passed shortly after enlisting and he wasn't married yet so I am hoping for a sibling or mother listed.  A long shot but here's hoping!! 

Does anyone know if that kind of a record would exist?  And if so, where would I look?

Thanks for all the help everyone! 

Offline Windwolvz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 November 16 02:54 GMT (UK) »
Sometimes when I am searching around FindMyPast I forget that some images have "next" buttons that reveal related records.  This is one such case!  I scrolled through all of the relevant stuff and if this is his entire service record, which it appears to be save his two court martials, then there is no next of kin listed.  It is interesting to note that he was discharged and sent back due to a rather nasty case of syphilis.  Nice.  I am continuing to search for more on his time in service so as to exhaust this line of research on him and so if anyone has any other suggestions, I would love to hear it as it would help immensely!   

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 December 16 13:03 GMT (UK) »
have you tried the army pension office?

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 December 16 15:35 GMT (UK) »
You would be most unlikely to find anything more on his own service but you could while away a few hours looking for the history of the units with which he served.  He started his service in the East India Company Artillery in September 1850 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidency_armies.  The period during which he served is fiendishly complicated to research, designations of units changed more than once  and the Indian Mutiny was right in the middle of his service which changed everything, especially for the artillery.  However, his document has 3/21 written at the top which is 3rd Battery of the 21st Brigade which the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Battalions of the Bombay Artillery became in 1862 on amalgamation with the Royal Artillery. There is also a 21 noted beneath his service number which also would indicate 21st Brigade.  The discharge document was completed in Belgaum which was in the Bombay Presidency which supports the idea that his first battalions were Bombay Artillery.  Anything on the history of the Bombay Artillery in India covering the period he served from 1850 through the mutiny in 1857 and up to when he retired would be worth checking through. 

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Windwolvz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 December 16 04:48 GMT (UK) »
Wow.  Thanks maxD.  That's amazing.  I would not have figured that out on my own very easily if at all.  I will definitely take a look at the history there when I have some time to do so.  Thanks ever so much for the advice and direction!

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 December 16 09:56 GMT (UK) »
You are most welcome.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia