Author Topic: James Declan Keane  (Read 1277 times)

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Declan Keane
« on: Monday 28 November 16 05:15 GMT (UK) »
Better known as Declan James Keane was born in 1908 and is buried at Oamaru 22 March 1983. My problem is that BDM do not have him under KEANE. BDM admit they do have him and for $20.40 I can find out what he has been mis transcribed as. Alls I am wanting is his actual death date. They have his birth right. Ancestry and Census have it right. War folk have it right. Waitaki District Council have it right. Have tried every version of Keane and weirder that I can think of. Perhaps some one more attuned to BDM foibles can find him please.

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
Re: James Declan Keane
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 November 16 05:19 GMT (UK) »
1983/31737   Kane CKA Keane    James Declan    20 June 1908

Date of death 17/3/1983

Cheers Janette

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 November 16 06:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Janette. Its not as if he was even a blood relative. He was a half brother to the totally missing in action Mary Gilligan born 1889 to Patrick and Catherine nee OBrien. I can't find her and at least 3 Gilligan third cousins have hit the same brick wall. One day when I am feeling flush will get Catherine Keanes death cert to see if she was alive in 1949
Also I meant electoral rolls , not census, b4 people ask me where you can see a kiwi census

Offline Avia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 November 16 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi KiwiHugh

Reference the missing Mary Gilligan you mention in your above post.

Extract from image 41 of Catherine Keane's 1950 probate record

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QK9V-PFTF

'.... AND I MARY SCAHILL wife of Thomas Joseph Scahill of Wellington labourer daughter of the abovenamed Catherine Keane deceased with Patrick Gilligan who died at Dunedin on the twelfth day of April 1889..."

On https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/

1915 Marriage - Mary Catherine Philomena Jane Gilligan to Thomas Scahill

1916 Birth - Owen Declan Scahill - Mother Mary, Father Thomas

1954 Death - Thomas Joseph Scahill Aged 79 years

1970 Death - Mary Catherine Scahill Aged 81 years

1994 Death - Owen Declan Scahill born 09/06/1916

Thomas Joseph and Mary Catherine are buried Karori Cemetery - records on following link

http://tinyurl.com/KaroriCemetery-Scahill

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 November 16 19:27 GMT (UK) »
You marvel Avia. Thank you. Not just a maybe, but a slam dunk  :D I now seem to be spending my precious in town broadband time just adding Gilligans to the tree. Looking at that will will have to wait till next shopping trip  :'(. How does the daughter of Irish peasants acquire so many middle names? What a wonderful 24 hours: a near impossible BDM listing found, a brickwall smashed to smitherines, and a beautiful hand written letter from Brother Edmund with a life history of the above Mary's cousin Robert Gilligan aka Brother Joseph Plunket

Offline Sweet Pea NZ

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 May 18 01:34 BST (UK) »
Hi KiwiHugh,
I have been doing a little bit of family tree research and was looking at my Grandad (Thomas Joseph Scahill) and his wife (my Grandmother)..Mary Catherine Philomena Jane Gilligan. I was looking on line and one of your posts came up in this Rootschat site so I have now joined the site!
As I said, I am the granddaughter of the two above and would love to known more about that side of the family.
I have done a little research into Thomas (he was from Galway) but I do not have anything much about my Grandmother.
I was aware of my father, Frank Scahill, talking about someone from Oamaru called Declan and think that it is maybe the one mentioned in your site.
Look forward to hearing from you.

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Cuz, Have sent you a PM with my email. If you don't get it let me know via this page

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 June 18 09:23 BST (UK) »
KiwiHugh, just letting you know that Sweet Pea NZ, won't be able to send or receive any PM's until she has made at least 2 or 3 posts on the forum. So hopefully she will make another public post soon, even a smiley face on each post will do the trick!

I hope you get a response soon.

Jeanne 😄
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 June 18 10:49 BST (UK) »
Hi jaybeinz  It must just be send as she picked up my PM and we are busily swapping info and catching up on 130 years of family news.