Author Topic: Chesterfield address lookup please  (Read 1792 times)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Chesterfield address lookup please
« on: Monday 28 November 16 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Hope someone can help please as I am looking for Kimberley Terrace, Spital, Chesterfield which is the address of the groom on a marriage certificate in 1912.  I cannot find Kimberley Terrace so guess it was a named group of houses built at the same time, and the street name is actually missing.

If anyone can see the electoral register or census records for the parents of the groom ie Mr. Mrs. H. Strickland at this address, and can see a street name, or a nearby street name, that would be useful please.

Thanks in advance.
Val
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline kmart66

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Chesterfield address lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 November 16 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi

After Kimberley Terrace  there is spital Lane and having a look around google it seems that Kimberley Terrace was on Spital Lane.

Kevin

Brightlingsea families
Martin, Day, Frostick, Salmon

faber est quisque fortunae suae

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 November 16 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much Kevin.  Do you think Kimberley Terrace was demolished or the name has fallen into disuse? 

Cheers
Val
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 November 16 13:48 GMT (UK) »
I have also just found this postcard of Spital Lane from around that time, and I guess such a block of terraced houses would have had their own name?
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 November 16 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your help.
Val
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline AndyMed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 June 20 15:10 BST (UK) »
I appreciate that this thread is some years old, but I think I can help with Kimberley Terrace in Chesterfield.  Yes, it is on Spital Lane.  I had a great-grandfather who lived there, and struggled to find where it is, but I recall my Dad saying "on Spital Lane" once.  Just this afternoon (15th June), I've spoken to a chap who's lived there many years, and he confirms it ... there are in fact three separate rows of houses, the first called Ladysmith Terrace, the second Mafeking Terrace, and the thirs (and longest) Kimberley Terrace.  My ancestor was at no 4 Kimberley Terrace, so I assume the houses were simply numbered from 1 etc in each of the separate rows.  Now they're all numbered on Spital Lane numbering of course.   If you can manage to click on the following link, it's a Google street view of the 3 rows - Ladysmith to the left, Mafeking in the centre, and Kimberley to the right. Here's the link - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.228887,-1.4140353,3a,75y,11.06h,80.85t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0zEhT8UEXODM4bBOcqRl9A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 June 20 18:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks AndyMed.  I think I tried Google Streetview to see if any names were shown in the brickwork, which you sometimes see with old terraces.

It's nice to see the actual row of houses, so thanks for the info and the link.

My great aunt/uncle's parents lived at 18 Kimberley Terrace and the address is on the 1912 marriage cert. Perhaps my ancestors were neighbours of your ancestors?
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline AndyMed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 June 20 18:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Val - glad you picked up on my comments.  The chap I spoke to confirmed that indeed there aren't any plaques or name-plates on the buildings.   Just looked on wikipedia, and the Siege of Kimberley was in the second Boer War, which was 1899-1902.  Must have been built after that, then.   It was my great-grandad who lived at no 4.   Next time I'm passing, I'll see what number it is nowadays on Spital Lane - I assume they simply counted 1,2,3 etc from the end, when it was first built.  I'll put what that is on here, when I find it out.   Would be good to know "today's" address.  Great-grandad's name was Samuel Coe, born about 1847, so he wouldn't have been a young man at the time.  Moved to Chesterfield around 1890 or so from a village in Norfolk, lived elsewhere in Chesterfield for a few years before Kimberley Terrace.  Don't know when he died