Author Topic: Donaghcloney Church of Ireland, Waringstown (Tullylish?): Harrison family  (Read 5229 times)

Offline Polly Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Harrison
    • View Profile
Donaghcloney Church of Ireland, Waringstown (Tullylish?): Harrison family
« on: Monday 28 November 16 09:18 GMT (UK) »
I have been working on the Harrisons of Down, Armagh, and Monaghan. 

I have just entered church records for Harrisons of Donaghcloney Church of Ireland, Waringstown, Down.  What a mess.  I am starting today to group people in families.  If you have any Harrison in County Down, I would appreciate a PM with basic family information.  For example, the name of the father, wife, and children.  Eventually I shall try to find the Harrison grandfather, etc.  A place name and a date for someone would orient me.

Basically, could we swap information that you have on your Harrison and that I have on Harrisons?  Thank you.  Polly LYNN
Harrison

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Donaghcloney Church of Ireland, Waringstown (Tullylish?): Harrison family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 November 16 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Rootschat is a forum for helping others and the PM system is really meant for exchanging personal details such as phone numbers, email addresses, information on living people, etc.

Here are links to your previous topics-
Harrison in Ballynahinch, Saintfield, Bangor (Gransha), Bleary,
Valentine Harrison (b. 1805?) Ballydugan, Donaghcloney, Tullylish,
Harrison in Corcreeny, Donaghcloney, births registered in Waringstown

If someone thinks they have a connection or information on these Harrisons it would be best if they post on the thread so that others interested can see what has been found and then respond themselves.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Polly Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Harrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 15:41 GMT (UK) »
These are three different Harrison families.  I am hoping to DNA test each family.  I would not wish anyone to think they are the same family.  Thank you.

Harrison

Offline Polly Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Harrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 16:16 GMT (UK) »
When I said these are three different Harrison families I mean they go back to three different patriarchs in the 1600s:
1.  In about 1685-1690 a John Harrison [Sr.] came to Ballynahinch, County Down, Ireland.  By 1703, he and five of his sons were Presbyterian.  This family is SAID to go back to Cromwell, but so far John is our earliest guy.
2.  James Harrison of Moyraverty, County Armagh, was paying the hearth money roll (tax) in 1662, or so say the church records at Seagoe Parish.  Descendants of this Seagoe family were all Church of Ireland and might have gone to Knocknamuckley and MIGHT include Valentine Harrison and Pierce Harrison, both born about the late 1700s.  We do no yet know that Pierce and Valentine are related to each other, but given they were at the same two churches, it seems likely.  Townlands in this family include Ballydugan, Ballygargan, also livd around Lurgan and Portadown.  Lots of weavers in this family.
3.  James Harrison of Corcreeny or Corcreany, County Down, lived in the late 1600s through his death and will probation in 1727.  In Corcreeny, I am joking when I say that this James Harrison (d. by 1727) and married possibly Margaret Brice had two sons named James.  Both at Corcreeny, there is a James (born about 1686, I am guessing) who married Margaret Collen and a James who married Rebecca and had son John bapt. 1717.  A few in his family were buried in a Presbyterian graveyard, the rest were baptized Donaghcloney Church of Ireland in Waringstown Village.  A mixture of weavers and farmers and a clerk in this family.

We have traced these families back to the mid 1600s and there is no connection, yet. 
Harrison

Offline john18

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 December 16 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi All
I am Harrison of Corcreany, Waringstown, which is part of Donaghcloney Parish
Harrison's are Church of Ireland.
I would suggest locally there are possibly four or five different Harrison families living within approximately less than four mile radius of each other.
Harrison's of Knocknamuckley and Ballynagarrick
Harrison's of Corcreany
Harrison's of Waringstown
Harrison's of Donaghclney

I am very keen to establish the true lineage of these families and have recently considered DNA testing as I have actively pursued my mother's line over at least the past twelve years and have had family do DNA testing with this branch of the family.

Offline Polly Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Harrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 12:49 GMT (UK) »
John,

I am very interested in these Harrison families also.  I sent you a personal message here on Rootschat.  If you cannot access it, please just reply to this one.  Thank you.

I would like to exchange information with you on the Harrisons; I can send you lots of charts and family group sheets.  Mayb you could set m straight on your family.  Also, I hope we can talk to each other about the DNA test before you buy it.  I would like to help pay for it, which means that I, rather than you, need to buy it.  So don't buy it yt.  Thy ar on sal in Dcmbr, so if I am to help you buy it would have to be before 22 Decmber.  My lttr e has stopped working. 

I think Corcrany and Donaghclony ar th sam family.
I think Knocknamuckley and Seagoe ar th sam family.
I hav bn working on all th families you mentioned, xcpt maybe not Ballynagarrick or Waringstown.

Polly LYNN
Harrison

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Welcome John18 thats exciting news for Polly, looking forward to learning your combined results in time.lots of positive luck to you both
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Polly Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Harrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 December 16 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, BallyaltKilligan.

I am seeking the name and place lived of the father of the Valentine Harrison (born 1798-1810) who married first Jane Pollock and second Wells.  Let's look at Valentine's early life and other clues to his origins.

1.  Who was his mother?  Valentine's mother may have been Ann McCann, as stated on Valentine's 1877 death certificate.  (1877 Harrison, Valentine  Statutory Deaths 644/10 0246.  Death was in Glasgow, Scotland.)  Among other places here were McCanns attending Knocknamuckley Church of Ireland, Co. Armagh.

2.  By 1877 the name of Valentine's father was Mr. Harrison, farmer, deceased. 

3.  What was the birth year of Valentine Harrison?  His death certificate in Scotland says he was age 60 in 1877, which puts his birth about 1817.  However, he had sons born in the 1820s.  Therefore I would suggest he was born 30 years earlier, so about 1796.

4.  Valentine Harrison married first Jane Pollock in her parish church, not his.  Where and when?  I do not see such a marriage in the Seagoe Parish Church of Ireland 1821-1866.  One could look earlier.  I have Donaghcloney Parish marriages starting 1829, but not earlier.

5.  Children and where born? 
a. Robert Harrison S. was born in the 1820s at his father's residence, Donaghcloney Parish. 
On 28 December 1849, Robert married Mary Sands.  At the time he was a weaver in Tullylish.  In which church did they marry?  Her church, but which religion?

b.  Isabella Harrison (1828-1913)
Isabella died in Lisburn, Ireland.

c.  Valentine Harrison [Jr.] (born about 1830s I am guessing was eventually of Donaghcloney; died in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland)
He married Margaret Harwood, where and when?

d.  Richard Harrison ()
In 1851 in Tullylish, Down, he married Elizabeth Sands.  That means she was of Tullylish.  In which church?

e.  Elizabeth Harrison (1834-1919 Timaru, Canterbury, New Zealand)
On 21 July 1854 in Knocknamuckly Church of Ireland [Down], Elizabeth Harrison married John Wilson.  Her father was called Valentine Harrison, Laborer.

f.  John Harrison (1835-1898)

g.  Matilda Harrison (1836-)
On 20 July 1859, in Knocknamuckly Church of Ireland, Matilda married John Reid.

h.  Jane Harrison (born about 1840?, died 1869 at age 29)
On 5 March 1857, Jane Harrison married David McMurray.  In which church?
She is buried at Waringstown graveyard.  (Why?)

Clearly this Valentine Harrison was Church of Ireland.  (There are about 14 Valentine Harrisons!)  His children, except for the son who married Graham, were married Church of Ireland.

5.  Valentine Harrison married second Elizabeth Wells between 1841 and 1845.  In 1841 Elizabeth Wells was single and living with her parent Margaret Wells and a James Nicholson, Tullylish Parish, Co. Down.  Valentine Harrison and Elizabeth Wells had at least:
i.  Mary Ann Harrison (b. 1845)  Mary Ann married in Donaghcloney Parish 1862 and married Holt McClure.

6.  In 1834 a Valn Harrison lived at Ballydougan (Ballydugan), Tullylish Parish, County Down.  (Tithe apploment, 1834.)

7.  In 1861 (info was from about then; published 1864) Valentine Harrison was farming Cornreany, Donaghcloney, Co. Down. 

8.  By the time he died in 1877 Valentine Harrison had moved to Glasgow, Scotland.  His death certificate calls him an engineer's laborer and widower of Elizabeth Wells. 

My questions are: who was Valentine's father?  Who were his ancestors?  And where was Valentine's father from?

I see a James Harrison of Ballydugan, Tullylish who married Mary.  (Notice this is no Ann McCann.)  They had a son bap. 1814 at Sagoe Parish Church of Ireland.  (Kat Conard.  Seagoe Parish records, Index 1660-1821, p. 14.)  In 1834 this [same] James Harrison was farming at Ballydougan, Tullylish.

There is a Mr. Harrison (b. 1770s-1780s, guessing0 married to Letitia who had a daughter, Sarah A. Harrison born about 1803 in Ballydugan.

I know our Valntine Harrison named his eldest son Robrrt Harrison.  Is there a Robrt Harrison married o an Ann McCann?  I would take any Harrison married to Ann McCann as the parents of Valentine.

Thank you!
Polly LYNN
Harrison

Offline Polly Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Harrison
    • View Profile
Re: Ballydugan Harrison family; 4 fathers for Valentine Harrison (m. Pollock)
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 December 16 14:38 GMT (UK) »
We know Valentine Harrison of Ballyudgan''s mother was Ann McCann.  Who was his father?  To summarize four possibilities for the father of Valentine Harrison (b. about 1800, range of birth dates from 1796-1817) of Ballydugan, Tullylish and often of Donaghcloney Parish, Down are:

1.  John Harrison of Ballydougan (d. by 1828).  Was he married and, if so, to whom?
In 1828 in Tullylish a will was probated for a John Harrison of Ballydougan.  (Ros Davies's County Down website.) 
2.  James Harrison of Ballydugan and Mary
They had a son William Harrison, born at Ballydugan and baptized 1814 at Seagoe Church of Ireland, Co. Armaagh. 
3.  Mr. Harrison and Letitia of Ballydugan.
Mr. Harrison and Letitia had a daughter Sarah A. Harrison born about 1803 in Ballydugan.  Sarah married Moses Chambers at Tullylish Church of Ireland, which would have been her home parish.
4.  Valentine Harrison (d. 1853 age 82) and Esther of Moyraverty, Co. Armagh.  I chose him because of the same name.
Val and Esther had at least six children all baptized at Seagoe Parish Church of Ireland, Sarah Harrison, bapt. 1801; Elizabeth bapt. 1804; Mary Anne Harrison bapt. 1806; Anne Harrison bapt. 1811; John Harrison bapt. 1813; James Harrison born or bapt. 1815 (John's place of bap. unknown).

Do you see who the father of Valentine was?  The Valentine Harrison [Sr.] I am interested in married Jane Pollock and Elizabeth Wells.  His eldest son was named Robert Harrison [Sr.]

Thank you. 
Polly

Harrison