Author Topic: FREE as in "no payment required" OR FREE so long as you don't want to "chat" ?  (Read 6515 times)

Offline Peter Sanders

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Is 'rootsChat' really FREE or is it like all other Ancestry websites which are money grabbing scams ?   I found the person I was looking for on rootsChat but there was no means of contacting them .... I'm guessing that to actually get to chat about geneology and exchange info there will be the usual "enter your credit card details"  and the subsequent "your registry payment will be deducted from your first purchase" !

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: FREE as in "no payment required" OR FREE so long as you don't want to "chat" ?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 November 16 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Is 'rootsChat' really FREE

Yes, absolutely  ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: FREE as in "no payment required" OR FREE so long as you don't want to "chat" ?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 November 16 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Be not downhearted!  Rootschat is free!

Once you have made a few posts (I think it is three on the main boards) you will be able to send a personal message to a Rootschatter.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 November 16 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Rootschat is entirely free to use but to avoid spammers you need to have three posts on the boards before you can talk to a person privately. You can either post two more times, click on their name and then, on the left hand side, there is an option to "Private Message" or you can reply to a thread of theirs (as I'm doing on yours) and if their email address is still active they should get an email notification that you've replied so they can come and see what you've said.

RootsChat is made up of other researchers who often, through the goodness of their own hearts and through mutual interest in the hobby, use their resources to help the searches of others. :)

Offline Crisrbow

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 November 16 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Rootschat is free and full of very helpful people, why not pop into the chat room? It's live chat and folk are friendly. Help is offered by people who have subs to various sites such as Ancestry..
Bissett, Budd, Fife. Cook., Keen, Wilson, Sidaway Co.Durham, Vasey, Sunderland., Riddell, Durham.Sidaway Rowley Regis, StaffsBadger, Lee, Shropshire, Staffs, Durham
Latue, Durham, Booth , Durham and London

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 November 16 10:58 GMT (UK) »
No payment required absolutely free once you have made another few posts you can send the person a private message
Rosie

Should have added Welcome to Rootschat  :) :)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 November 16 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Welcome to rootchat

Rootschat is free and full of very helpful people, why not pop into the chat room? It's live chat and folk are friendly. Help is offered by people who have subs to various sites such as Ancestry..

You will however reach a larger 'audience'  by posting any queries on the boards.  ;)   :)

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 November 16 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Is 'rootsChat' really FREE or is it like all other Ancestry websites which are money grabbing scams ?   I found the person I was looking for on rootsChat but there was no means of contacting them .... I'm guessing that to actually get to chat about geneology and exchange info there will be the usual "enter your credit card details"  and the subsequent "your registry payment will be deducted from your first purchase" !

Welcome to RootsChat

As mentioned above you need 2 posts to be able to use the personal message system on RootsChat.  If you tell us who you are trying to contact, perhaps we can help further.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 November 16 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat Peter from me too :D

RootsChat has always been a free website for a last 13 years. If you click on the reply button on one of the persons topics it will notify the member by email notification of you reply.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk