Author Topic: Cemetery near Doune  (Read 8520 times)

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cemetery near Doune
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 03 December 16 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave,

As mentioned to Tom, I can not find any census records on SP - I will try again later.
Tom, your links are to Ancestry.uk and my subscription is with Ancestry.ca, so I could not make the quick connection, unless I am missing some way to do this. I am older than you Tom and sometimes not so quick on computers!

Do you mean you cannot find Census records on SP? This is what I do in the new format of SP.

I input surname - Anderson and first name - Janet, and do not input anything else. I then apply search and get 23,418 replies in 5 categories.  By moving down the left hand side you see all the Census in Chronological order, I selected 1851, which has 1146 records. I then select the 1851 census by clicking the 1146 records. I then set filters to take the 1146 down to a manageable level, I select Perth as 'County' and Kilmadock as 'District', these filters take it down to 6 entries. The 2 entries that we are interested in is Ref 326/ 6/ 3, which is Janet the mother and daughter.

I hope this helps you,

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Dave106

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 04 December 16 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom:

Adjusted my Profile - however, your latest post was shown in my e-mail - do not know what happened yesterday.

Found the SP census record for Janet Anderson and looked at both 1851 and 1871.
Unfortunately it is the same info I already have.
Went to 1871 because that one states "Main Street West South Side" - again no building #.
Interesting - 20 people and 2 houses, if I read it correctly.
There are some Stewart's listed, but the head of that house is not shown on the page I read, not that that would likely help me.

Still think the only way forward is to find a grave marker.

What is your interest in the Stewart name?

Dave
Anderson, Stewart, Donaldson, Wright

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 04 December 16 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave,

My maternal grandmother was a Stewart, she was the youngest of a family of 10 children. born mostly in East Lothian but some in West Lothian.

My 4xGGF John Stewart born 1777 in Forfar, Angus may have married a Kilmadock woman, Agnes Sommers, but I have not been able to verify this, so only in tree in pencil.

Tom

PS I have found this marriage of John Stewart to Agnes Summers at Craig by Montrose, Angus on 1st April 1796.
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline valr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 16 December 16 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave
I know Monks IRL and he is a contact on FB. I will ask him to check this thread and reply.
Your Stewarts are almost certainly descended from the "Stewarts of Balquihidder".
I have 6 separate Stewart lines from there.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stewart_of_Balquhidder
I am a member of the research group. There is a link to the website on that Wiki page.

Scotland -McCall, King, Morrison, Thomson, Mcfarlane, Stewart, Dow, Jolly, Roberston, Christie, Mclaren, Campbell, McGregor
England - Roberts, Steel, Underhill, Brookes, Pope, Stump

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 16 December 16 03:02 GMT (UK) »

Children of William Anderson and Janet Stewart:

Janet b. 11 July 1841.
William b. 24 March 1846 - my great grand father.
Ann b. 29 October 1839, registered as being with her grand parents at the 1851 census.
Those grand parents are Janet's parents - John Stewart and Ann Innes , farmers near Dunblane.

From my copies of the census - as you noted Tom, the 1871 census shows Janet with boarders.
It also shows a grand child Ann Gray, age 3, which fits this family.
The 1881 census shows Janet again with boarders.
The 1891 census shows Janet, still on Main Street and Supported by Family.

In another 1881 census, Ann Gow, Janet's sister, is shown as having a butcher shop on Main Street, Doune and I would hazard a guess it may be the same address as other census' for Janet - something I am trying to find out.

Thanks,
Dave

Hi Dave,

Can you clarify the meaning above of 'with boarders' please?

Is Janet/Ann living with other boarders in someone else's accommodation or does she take in boarders at her own address?

Valuation Rolls;
Originals 2 credits on SP & gives further info. although you will get a list of many per page if you check ref. no's so as not to buy duplicates?

ANDERSON
MRS
Tenant
HOUSE AND SHOP
DOUNE
KILMADOCK
VR011300001-

ANDERSON
JANET
MRS
Tenant Occupier
HOUSE AND GARDEN SOUTH SIDE GOING EAST
KILMADOCK
VR011300021-

STEWART
JOHN (Father)?
Proprietor Occupier
HOUSE SHOP BYRE KILLING HOUSE AND GARDEN DOUNE MAIN STREET NORTH SIDE GOING WEST
KILMADOCK
VR011300021-

GOW
JANET
Tenant Occupier
DRUMVAICH COTTARIE
KILMADOCK
VR011300021-

ANDERSON
JANET
MRS
Tenant Occupier
HOUSE AND GARDEN MAIN STREET SOUTH SIDE
KILMADOCK
VR011300031-

GOW
JAMES
Proprietor
HOUSE STABLE OUT HOUSE AND GARDEN MAIN STREET SOUTH SIDE
KILMADOCK
VR011300031-

GOW
MRS
Tenant Occupier
HOUSE AND GARDEN MAIN STREET SOUTH SIDE
KILMADOCK
VR011300031-

STEWART
JOHN (Father)?
Tenant Occupier
HOUSE MAIN STREET SOUTH SIDE
KILMADOCK
VR011300041-

ANDERSON
DAVID (Relation)? Seems to own another property?
Proprietor
HOUSE MAIN STREET SOUTH SIDE
KILMADOCK
VR011300051-

Links on above with different names but same addresses?

Not sure of dates in your info?

When did Father die?
When did Janet/Ann die?

Have you considered that Janet/Ann may have remarried?

Hope above helps a bit?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Dave106

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 16 December 16 03:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi vair:

I am very excited to hear from you.
I was thinking of advising the moderator to check my posting as complete, as I assumed no further info would come from it. Patience is a virtue. Again, I optimistically see favourable results possible.

I am a descendant of the Stewarts of Balquihidder - specifically Stewarts of Annat.
I refer to the web site from time to time and looking today, as a result of your message, it appears to be a little different layout, so I will spend some time there in the near future.

I spent a few years, fairly casually, developing my family tree for my Canadian ancestors and relatives. When I started searching outside Canada, and for my Scottish relatives, I very quickly found Ryk Brown and he freely and graciously introduced me to the vast amount of information he and his team has established.

I have referred to Malcolm Gray's personal tree many times. Unfortunately, about the time I decided it was time I thanked Malcolm, I found out he had passed away.

I hope I hear from Monks.
Whether Monks helps me or not, it is his post that brought me to this site.

Thanks,
Dave

Offline Dave106

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 16 December 16 04:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie:

This is a quick reply because I want to take some time to fully answer you questions.

The "Head of House" in every census from 1851 to 1891 appears to be Janet Anderson.
One census record shows Ann as Head and Janet as daughter - the ages indicate an entry error.
The location is always just Main Street and looking on the actual SP census record, I do not find an actual house number.

I checked on the SP Valuation Rolls and only found the 1885 record for James Gow, non for Janet Anderson. Not sure why you have it and I did not find it.

Janet's father, John Stewart died 1858.
His will mentioned a house in Doune rented to two men.
There is no reference to the store and living quarters.

If the 1851 to 1891 census records are, in fact, referring to the same Janet Anderson, then I have to conclude she did not re-marry. I have thought about this, because Janet was not very old when William died. The census records indicate she did not re-marry. This is still something to prove.

I have checked SP records from 1891 onward and only see one death record for Janet Anderson, which does not appear to fit.

I will respond to your message in a little more detail tomorrow.

Thanks,
Dave

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 16 December 16 05:07 GMT (UK) »
If it helps, for the Valuation Rolls, I did not put in a forename only surname for each as the index is free so nothing to lose & only trying to help as I have no real info. in front of me, only what you have written.

The no. accompanying each one I posted is the ref. for that entry.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Dave106

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 16 December 16 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie:

Clarify the meaning of "with boarders":
1871 census states Janet's occupation is "letting rooms" but no renters are noted.
1881 census states Janet's occupation is "lodging house keeper" with three renters noted.

Does Janet take boarders at her own address:
I believe this to be correct.
Your latest information suggests Janet did not own the building.

Did Janet re-marry:
1851 census and 1871 census state Janet is a widow.
As I stated earlier, I conclude Janet did not re-marry.

The 1871 census has grand daughter Anne Gray with Janet.
In my opinion, this fact strongly suggests (I will even say confirms) I am correct in thinking the Janet in all census records is, in fact, my Janet.
BUT an address would help.

John Stewart, proprietor in 1875 is not Janet's father.
I do not know if he is related.
The building appears to be on the opposite side of the street.

Janet Gow, tenant in 1875 - does not fit James and Ann Gow's family, as I see it.
I will try and find siblings of James Gow.

James Gow, proprietor 1885.
Maybe James has always owned the building and Janet lived in the building??

John Stewart in 1895 - not a close relative that I am aware of, but Janet did have many relatives in the area.
By 1895, I believe James and Ann are living in Port of Menteith.
I have no idea where Janet Anderson is at this time. If alive she would be 81 years.

David Anderson in 1905 - first David I have come across in Doune. Intrigues me!

Some time ago I looked up Google maps for Main Street, Doune.
In the vicinity where I assume the store and living quarters would be, there are two and three story buildings. I have typically thought Janet had a store on the main floor and lived above. But maybe the buildings I saw are not 19 century buildings.

The Town of Doune web site states there are volunteers who will look up information.
I have tried to contact the Town a couple of times and did not receive a reply. I can see that they do not have time to help every person like myself, but I have to wonder why they advertise this.

There is an interesting shop with hotel on upper floors, in the vicinity my Janet may have lived.
I e-mailed each, asking if they knew any thing about the history of their building and again no reply.
If I book a room at the hotel, I guess I would get a reply.

I do not think I have helped much with this.
I do not know what other information to offer.

I will go back to the Valuation Rolls and do more looking.

Did you pay credits to view the Valuation Rolls?

Thanks again,
Dave