Author Topic: Cemetery near Doune  (Read 8764 times)

Offline Dave106

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cemetery near Doune
« Reply #63 on: Friday 27 January 17 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kenny

I will send you my e-mail in a private message to you - I think this is the correct procedure as I think public notification of e-mail is not accepted on this site.

I spent some time on google street level coverage of Doune.
There are several locations which may be the location of my ancestors shop and residence. The critical fact used is the existence of a path or right of way on the east side of the property. This assumes the current paths existed in 1850:
1. The current Woodlane Crafts. I guess this would satisfy the census record as being west end of Main Street.
2. Harvey Map Service has a lane on the east.
3. A building labeled Veterinary Surgery has a lane on the east.
4. The Doune Time building with Park Lane to the east.

The valuation records Annie sent me shows property owned by JohnStewart on the north side of Main Street.Going thru John Stewart's will again, I see reference to  property on the north side of Main Street as well as the South side.

I am going to look at the property description in John Stewart's will again.
Measurements are given with a very detailed description, except I am having a problem getting it sorted out. Of course, the current buildings may not be same as 1850.
The will states that there is a building behind the street front building, that is attached and partly extends behind the building to the west.
The lot dimensions are noted, but I do not know where the measurements relate to.
Some how the property connects with that of Rev. Ferguson.

John Stewart lent Rev. Ferguson money to buy the property where he, the minister, lived and this property was east of John's property. Maybe it was John's property that he sold to Rev. Ferguson? If Byre Hill is this property, then it would appear the Doune Time building is a candidate.
However, the reference to being at the west end of Main Street makes the Woodlane Crafts building more likely.
Buildings 2 and 3 above do not seem to match the dimensions given, but maybe these buildings are divided inside, which is not obvious from the pictures on Google.

Your comments are welcome.

John acquired his property in 1803.
Do you know if the current buildings between Queen Street and The Cross date to 1803 or earlier?

Is the Free Church building still in use?

Do you know if women could hold titles to property, in the early 1800's?

Do you know the origin of Byre House?
The property on the north side of the street, belonging to John Stewart, is referenced in the 1875 valuations, as Byre Killing House, which I take as meaning a butcher shop.

I apologize for being rather lengthy in my information.
I am retired, and although I am fairly busy, I do have time to spend on this stuff!

I spent a good portion of my career as a design and construction engineer, with lots of work on roads, etc. so we have something in common.

Thanks again.
I am very appreciative of your effort to help me.

Dave

Anderson, Stewart, Donaldson, Wright

Offline Dave106

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Sunday 29 January 17 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kenny:

I see that Byre means barn. Initially I was thinking it was a surname.

I can not see that the "manse", now Byre Hill, is adjacent to John Stewart's property because this property is located in what would be the east end of Main Street.

The Doune records for listed buildings indicates the Manse was constructed in 1851. So I am thinking Rev. Ferguson may have lived near john's property prior to 1851.

Dave

Offline monks13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Monday 30 January 17 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Woodlane Crafts was in my youth a Butcher shop and was owned by the Morrison family and where my brother started his apprenticeship as a butcher . I will check when I can on previous owners/uses .

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Monday 30 January 17 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave,

Have you tried the maps on;

http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/

or

http://maps.nls.uk/pont/modern-places/a-f.html

Sorry I'm not great with maps unless I know the area I'm searching i.e. can recognise place names etc.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Dave106

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 02:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Annie:

Your information always challenges my thinking and opens my mind to other possibilities.

The "Scotland Places" 1860 records tell me a couple of applicable pieces of info.

First, Rev. Ferguson was with the North Free Church, located in the west end of Doune, constructed 1843.
Kenny - I believe this info rules out the Manse now Byre Hill.

Second, many properties (maybe most or all) in Doune were "owned" by Earl of Moray.
This leads me to think that my John Stewart did not own the property on Main Street, but had a formal right to use the property, or properties.
This may explain why John's will does not have a pound value on the property described in the will.
It may also explain why one property was given to John, "in trust" for daughters Margaret and Ann Henderson.
Kenny, this is why I asked you previously if women could own property.
Maybe the girls were under age to legally have the property.
According to John's will, this property eventually became that of Andrew Buchanan - how and why I do not know. Maybe thru marriage?

* if any one can explain howthe Earl of Moray's property was allocated in Doune, this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.
Dave

Offline monks13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 20:38 GMT (UK) »
The Earl didn't actually own the buildings but could collect Fue duty ( as sort of tax ) for the land the property sat on and he owned, Which most of if not all Doune sat on.
Over the years a few properties have disappeared but these were mostly old houses.
Most of main street as you see now is as it was in the 1800's with maybe the odd building having a second level put on.
The West Kirk ( church was converted into 2 houses in 1961.
Don't know why i didn't think about it before. Just phoned my mother in law.
The West church manse is Byre Hill, The East church manse lies just on the outskirts of the village on the main road to Stirling . a wee bit confusing lol

Offline Dave106

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 05 February 17 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kenny:

I have been assuming the South side of Main Street has odd numbers.
Today I have been reading the listed buildings descriptions and now believe the South side has even numbers.

The listing for 12, 14, 16 and Mile End caught my eye.
Actually the Mile End because that name is on the building, unless there is another Mile End.
Please confirm.

This listing also refers to an extensive rear wing, which would match how I read John Stewart's will.
What do you think?

Thanks,
Dave

Offline Dave106

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Sunday 05 February 17 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Kenny:

Following up on Valuation Rolls info from Annie, I found David Anderson as proprietor of two properties on Main Street south side, in 1905.

There is a David Anderson on property know as Cardona Estate of Gardincaber by Doune, from 1905 to 1930. Do you know this property?

I have some leads but nothing firm for relationship of the above David.

In 1875, Janet Gow was at Drumvaich Cottarie - are you familiar with this property?

Thanks,
Dave
PS. Are you interested in curling?
I watched the Scottish women's team curling in Banff this week end, on television.

Offline Dave106

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Friday 28 April 17 18:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Kenny:

How are you.

Have not heard from any one on this site in a while.
This is okay.
I have not been working on my ancestors research lately.

I hope you will take a look for my relatives if you happen to pass by a local cemetery during your summer travels.

Enjoy your summer.

Thanks,
Dave