Author Topic: Cemetery near Doune  (Read 8763 times)

Offline Dave106

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cemetery near Doune
« Reply #9 on: Monday 28 November 16 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Tom

My correspondence is associated with Burials in Perthshire because initially I responded to a post by some one who seems not to participate any more - monks13.

We are now on a different topic and I do not understand how this site works.

To your question:

William Anderson and Janet Stewart are my ancestors.

Others, on this site and other sites, have been searching for our William with limited success. A William b. 1814 at Logie seems to be chosen as correct in a number of family trees. I do not believe this to be correct.

I understand that William was deceased when my great grandfather William Stewart Anderson was b. 24  mar 1846, based on information from a distant relative living in Scotland, who states this is on William's 1846 birth record.

It is fairly certain that Janet Anderson, a grocer in Doune in 1851, Census  is my ancestor - actually pretty much 100 per cent, based on her fathers will.
Subsequent census in 1861, 1871, 1881 and 1891 indicates she lived at the same location in Doune and I am looking for proof that this is correct. Knowing the address would satisfy my mind that I have the correct documents.
I also think her sister Ann lived at the same address in 1881 but, again with out an address, this is difficult to confirm.

Monks13 was offering to search cemeteries near Doune, which is possibly the only way I will further my findings for William Anderson and Janet Stewart.

If you have a better option, I am happy to learn.

Dave

Anderson, Stewart, Donaldson, Wright

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 28 November 16 01:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave,

I understand what you mean by replying in the proper manner, I have asked moderator to move your posts on this topic to a new post, so we can get all the information on your search in the correct place.
Will have another look at your last reply tomorrow, as it is 1:33 a.m. now.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Dave106

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 November 16 01:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks
Dave

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 November 16 03:10 GMT (UK) »

It is fairly certain that Janet Anderson, a grocer in Doune in 1851, Census  is my ancestor - actually pretty much 100 per cent, based on her fathers will.
Subsequent census in 1861, 1871, 1881 and 1891 indicates she lived at the same location in Doune and I am looking for proof that this is correct. Knowing the address would satisfy my mind that I have the correct documents.
I also think her sister Ann lived at the same address in 1881 but, again with out an address, this is difficult to confirm.

Hi Dave,

It is difficult to confirm until you see the actual census record which is only available at SP as the rest are only transcriptions.

The original will have an address unless it's the name of a building which didn't have a no. as such, only a name.

Have you tried freecen, I haven't checked but they are far better than 'fancestry' or
'blindmypast' both of which are notorious for transcription errors.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 28 November 16 10:45 GMT (UK) »

To your question:

Others, on this site and other sites, have been searching for our William with limited success. A William b. 1814 at Logie seems to be chosen as correct in a number of family trees. I do not believe this to be correct.

I understand that William was deceased when my great grandfather William Stewart Anderson was b. 24  mar 1846, based on information from a distant relative living in Scotland, who states this is on William's 1846 birth record.

Monks13 was offering to search cemeteries near Doune, which is possibly the only way I will further my findings for William Anderson and Janet Stewart.

If you have a better option, I am happy to learn.

Dave

Hi Dave,

What does the will say, what are the dates of the father William Anderson dying, and what court was it held in. Do you have a copy of the OPR for William Stewart Anderson, your GGF, on SP website, I see the OPR you mention, but it only states William Anderson, no middle name.

We may have to back to your GF details and check from there again.As you are probably aware Official Registration did not start until 1855, and prior to that only OPR(Old Parish Records of the church) were available. So many baptisms were registered with parents names but sometimes only a single Christian name, I have seen most as single names, and only seen a few that had middle names on.

Do you have your GGF marriage records, if Scottish, the record would give you parents names and occupation, and whether deceased. This would help to prove you are on correct path.

So I am not saying what you have already is incorrect, but it is not proven correct so far. I worry when I see "fairly certain" in a post, it usually means it is doubtful. Sorry but I am "Doubting" by name and nature.

Tom (Doubting Thomas)

Offline Dave106

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 28 November 16 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie:

Thanks for your info.

I did not know SP has different data than other sites.
I have used this site in the past but currently do not have credits - I will consider.

I am a member of Ancestry until the end of this year and I will not renew.
I have in the past obtained considerable data from FamilySearch.
I have never heard of freesen.

Refer to my response to tidybooks if you will.

Dave

Offline Dave106

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 28 November 16 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom:

So far the information forthcoming is frustrating to me and not what I expected or hoped for, but fitting to the dead ends I have found on previous endeavours in the search for my William Anderson, who we think was born 1813. Yes, I have done lots of searching for my ancestors and have a well established family tree. No, I do not consider myself an expert by any means, so maybe this site is not for me.

William Anderson and Janet Stewart are my ancestors - no question.

Yes, the marriage certificate for William Stewart Anderson states his parents are William Anderson and Janet Stewart.

William Stewart Anderson is my ancestor - no question, and with a middle name.

We do not know when William Sr. was born, other than maybe 1813, OR when he died, other than we know he died before William Jr. was born. Theoretically, this puts his death between June 24, 1845 and March 24, 1846.

There are no apparent death records for either William Sr. or for Janet "Stewart" Anderson, his wife.
My initial correspondence to this site was in response to a person stating he would search local cemeteries for persons living overseas.
In my opinion, the only way forward is to try and locate a grave marker that might shed some light on their life. I guess I was overly optimistic when I accidently came across the post by monks13.

The will for Janet Stewart's father does state Janet is a grocer in Doune and she is a widow. And it also mentions William Jr.
I am disappointed you doubt this, but I will admit my wording was not as positive as I had ment it to be.

Two persons have now advised that SP records are more informative than other sites.
I will think about going on their site and seeing what is applicable.
I am a registered member and have used this site in the past but currently do not have credits.

In the mean time, if some one wants to search cemeteries near Doune for William and Janet or find an 1851 grocery store on Main Street in Doune, this may be helpful to me.

Regards,
Dave

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 28 November 16 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave,

I am not an expert and I am not trying to denigrate your tree or records. I am trying to get the definite then to try and breakdown the brick walls that you are finding.

If you go on SP without credits, there is a new format, only about 4 weeks old, you can get a lot of info without paying for the credits.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ixf/ 

Click on this link, and your William (Stewart) Anderson is third one down. You can spend 6 credits to get same information as you know, so will not get much more other than confirmation of your records.

LDS records I use a lot because it is free, but a lot of their records come from their members family trees, and should not be used to confirm records but as a guide, if I cannot confirm with a SP certificate, it is still in pencil, it can be  erased.

Hope this helps you understand my comments a bit better, I do not wish to upset you or tell you that your records are wrong.

Tom

Offline Dave106

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie:

I quickly checked on Freecen and did not find applicable records for William.
I will look again later, as I did not give it a good search the first time.

Thanks for the info.

Dave