Author Topic: Ancestry records for Leicestershire  (Read 2960 times)

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
Ancestry records for Leicestershire
« on: Monday 28 November 16 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Could someone with a current subscription to Ancestry comment on the records they have for Leicestershire parishes please? Are they for example as good as, better than or worse than the same on FamilySearch?  I have subscribed to Ancestry in the past but not for a year or two and I unsubscribed after exhausting everything they had for the county of interest to me. I'm considering joining again if they have added substantially to their records while I've been away but only if it's worth doing.

Offline Artypie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry records for Leicestershire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 November 16 23:20 GMT (UK) »
I am subscribed to Find My Past because the Familysearch.org census results have a button to "Go to partner site" i.e. the image of the actual document on Find My Past, which is useful. Before I subscribed,  I went to FindMyPast and asked them if they had any special offers/discount codes on a year's subs, they said no but they let me have a month for half price which was around £6, so I was able to have a month taster before committing to a full year. Maybe Ancestry would do the same to tempt you back in? worth an ask.
Platts - Morrell - Smith - Humphrey - Hancock - Heritage - Wilkins - Satchell/Satchel - Brooks/Brookes - James - Brown - Wardle - Hall - Croson/Croston - Davis/Davies - Fox - Humber - Sibson - Cooke/Cook -Chapman - Musson - Mountney - Ward - Cullen - Mumford/Mumfoot - Hoverd - Scriven/Scrivins - Ward - Harvey - Groombridge - Bullock - Holt - Harris - Cooper - May - Downs

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 November 16 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Artypie again and thanks for your thoughts. I have a FindMyPast sub but their parish records are not good for Leicestershire yet which is why I want to know about Ancestry.

Ancestry do occasionally have a free weekend but the last time they did so I took all the records I needed or felt were of interest and as there was nothing else of interest I did not subscribe. That was some time ago however and like FindMyPast they add to their records from time to time. However the current layout of Ancestry is not user friendly and I cannot be bothered to try to find my way about or whether they've updated the relevant records over the last months. I don't mind paying for a month if they've updated but I'm too mean to pay only to find that I already had everything of relevance because it's the same records as before. I mentioned familysearch because of course their records are free.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 November 16 23:48 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast are due to get Leicestershire and Rutland PRs - see https://twitter.com/RecordOffice/status/666235784496873472.  The Record Office responded to a query on Facebook the other month saying the records were due to start appearing on FindMyPast next Spring (originally it was "later this year").
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 November 16 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry has:
Leicestershire, England, Extracted Church of England Parish Registers - 41,936 records.
Leicestershire Marriage Licences - 548 records.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 November 16 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks KGarrard. Not many then! Probably not worth re-joining yet.

I had heard about the possibility of FindMyPast digitising these records but had not seen any formal announcement until now. Thanks therefore Smudwisk. I just need to remain patient (and alive) then!

Tony

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 November 16 23:57 GMT (UK) »
As has been mentioned, FindMyPast are due to get the Leicestershire & Rutland records, although quite a number of the Rutland ones are already on Ancestry but are indexed in the card catalogue as Northamptonshire.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 November 16 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jomot. Last time I used Ancestry was to mine the Northants and Rutland records. Roll on the Leics. roll out!

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Roll on the Leics. roll out!

I second that  ;D 
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.