Author Topic: Ancestry records for Leicestershire  (Read 2966 times)

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry records for Leicestershire
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 14 December 16 23:46 GMT (UK) »
That's brilliant news about the Leicestershire records. It will save me the hours of driving to visit Wigston Records Office. I have a subscription with Ancestry which expires at end of year and was wondering about giving Find My Past a go, will definately go ahead with that now. Thanks BumbleB

If you've not tried FindMyPast and you are about to give up on Ancestry for a while I would certainly recommend them (FindMyPast that is). Over the many years I've been into this hobby I've used both but subscribing to both at the same time is quite expensive. I found that having researched my families for many years, new online findings are few and far between. You tend to exhaust the records that one or the other of the two companies has and their rate of adding new records of relevance to your area of search is very slow. It is very easy to have paid a lot of money for very little return over a subscription year..

So by using another site (and FindMyPast is pretty good) you open up a lot of new records which the other site doesn't have. Eventually you might get to the same stalemate on the new site and if it's a year or so since you used the other site you may find that they have uploaded enough new records to tempt you back.

There are two particularly good record sets that FindMyPast has that I don't think that Ancestry has. The 1939 Register and Historic Newspapers - the latter opening up a mine of additional information about my ancestors and long dead relatives.   

As you mention, it will be FindMyPast that gets the Leicestershire records initially so that's another reason for using them if you have strong connections to the county.

Tony