Author Topic: Alexander Simpson born c1822. Who are his parents  (Read 1572 times)

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Simpson born c1822. Who are his parents
« on: Monday 28 November 16 22:31 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find something that would give me the parents names of Alexander Simpson who was married to Anna Mellis in 1845. On a newspaper entry for his marriage in Scotland it states Alexander Simpson, Jnr.  They lived in Inverness and emigrated to Canada c1855 with their children. On the 1851 census in Inverness his year of birth is 1822.  I can't think of anything other than death records that might give his parents names.  Any suggestions would be greatfully received.

I have found most of the childrens marriages and deaths and some graves.  Also censuses.

The only one I am having no luck with is Alexander.  I have found a death on family search.org in 1875 but the age is ten years out.  The area of Flamboro, Wentworth is correct as that is where they originally settled.  He was alive in 1871 but not in 1881.  In 1881 the family are in Newmarket.  His wife Anna is buried in Newmarket along with some of her family. She died in 1912.

I believe Alexander is an uncle to Robert Simpson who had the department store in Toronto.
Thank you for your time.
Betty

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Simpson born c1822. Who are his parents
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 00:21 GMT (UK) »
ScotlandsPeople has Church of Scotland marriage Alexander Simpson to Anna Mellis 2 Oct 1845.  The marriage was recorded in 2 separate parishes, namely Elgin & New Spynie which usually means the groom was from one parish and the bride from the other.  If you buy a few credits on ScotlandsPeople you can view the marriage details, which might give you his father's name.

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Just looked at one of my ancestors marriage in 1845 and found no parents names given on the old parish register.  That was in a different parish than the one you need to look at.

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information.  Unfortunately Scottish marriages before 1855 do not always record parents names.  I am assuming (wrong I know) that the father is Alexander due to the jnr. in the newspaper.  I would really like to find the mother to try and find where this Simpson family fit in.  There seems to be a lot of Simpson families in the Elgin area, mostly Tailors.

Thanks for your time.
Betty

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 05:12 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure he was alive in 1871?  The link shows what I think is the family you are following in Newmarket in 1871.  The wife, shown as Alexandra, is widowed but the daughters seem to be the same from the 1861 census.  Deaths were not required to be reported until after 1869 and even then compliance in the early years was not consistent.
http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/1871/jpg/4396687_00576.jpg

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply and picking up on the names on the 1871 census.  I had not studied the ages closely enough.  I had read what I thought was Alexander and Anna and names of children.  It certainly looks like Anna was a widow by 1871.

I had not realised that deaths were not required to be reported until 1869.

Thanks for your time, much appreciated.

Betty

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 December 16 10:00 GMT (UK) »
I have just found a newspaper entry for Anna Sutherland nee Simpson.  A daughter of Alexander.  It says they moved to Newmarket after the death of her father in 1867.  It also mentions a brother who did not emigrate with them as he was in boarding school.  He is later found in Canada so must have joined them once his schooling was complete.

Still no closer to finding parents of Alexander but this newspaper entry has helped with some queries I had.   Every little helps.

Thanks
Betty

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 December 16 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if you might have seen the biography of Robert Simpson at the link below......it gives his parents and then part way down it mentions that he sold his Newmarket business to his cousin James in 1872. Unfortunately, it doesn't give his last name but I am wondering if he is the James Alexander who is the son of Alexander and Anna? I see he was a merchant when he died.

http://www.biographi.ca/en/bio/simpson_robert_12E.html

Any, food for thought.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 December 16 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.  Much appreciated.

The James is the same person, son of Alexander.  I have just found his death on Family search.org.  He is recorded as Willis instead of Mellis..

Thanks

Betty