Author Topic: Morland Family - Fulham area 1820s  (Read 5985 times)

Offline croz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Morland Family - Fulham area 1820s
« on: Monday 28 November 16 23:11 GMT (UK) »
I originally posted this in December 2005 ...... unfortunately no information was forthcoming....worth another try.... ;)

Interested in any information about the Morland family of Fulham. My Great-Great Grandmother was Ann Selina Morland, born about 1820, married  to John Limpus 20 June 1843 - St Mary Le Strand, Middlesex. Ann Selina was the daughter of John Morland, born 17 July 1775, died July 1845. At the time of Ann Selina's marriage, John Morland was a Sailor, and at some time an upholsterer or "upholder" of Parson's Green, Fulham. John Morland was the son of John Morland born 16 Sep 1739, Occupation Cabinet Maker and Upholsterer (Upholder) of Princes Street, Soho, London - died 1831, married to Margaret Hodgson. John Morland Snr was the son of Tillam Morland, born abt 1703  in Wensley, Yorkshire, but subsequently "of St James Piccadilly, London". Various family stories have it that Ann Selina Morland was from a "well to do" family - John Limpus being, we believe, a footman, possibly in service with the Morland household at the time of their marriage - with the address "Gardeners' Lane, Putney" -  his occupation is shown on their marriage certificate as "footman".  It seems that Ann Selina was "disowned" by the Morland family following her marriage to John Limpus. John and Ann Selina  subsequently moved to Brighton where, at the time of the birth of their first child,  James Dainty Limpus in 1848, John Limpus was a "servant". I'm particularly interested in any details of the Morland family in or around Fulham, Putney, Parson's Green ...if anyone has details....? There is no connection at all to the more famous and earlier Fulham resident Sir Samuel Morland as far as I know.

Thanks
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Morland family - Westmorland, Kent (Court Lodge), Soho (London) , Fulham/Parsons Green (Middlesex).
Limpus family - Fulham/Putney (Middlesex) - Ragless and Penfold families (West Sussex)

Offline croz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Morland Family - Fulham area 1820s
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 July 17 20:22 BST (UK) »
I originally posted this in December 2005 ...... unfortunately no information was forthcoming....worth another try.... ;)

Interested in any information about the Morland family of Fulham. My Great-Great Grandmother was Ann Selina Morland, born about 1820, married  to John Limpus 20 June 1843 - St Mary Le Strand, Middlesex. Ann Selina was the daughter of John Morland, born 17 July 1775, died July 1845. At the time of Ann Selina's marriage, John Morland was a Sailor, and at some time an upholsterer or "upholder" of Parson's Green, Fulham. John Morland was the son of John Morland born 16 Sep 1739, Occupation Cabinet Maker and Upholsterer (Upholder) of Princes Street, Soho, London - died 1831, married to Margaret Hodgson. John Morland Snr was the son of Tillam Morland, born abt 1703  in Wensley, Yorkshire, but subsequently "of St James Piccadilly, London". Various family stories have it that Ann Selina Morland was from a "well to do" family - John Limpus being, we believe, a footman, possibly in service with the Morland household at the time of their marriage - with the address "Gardeners' Lane, Putney" -  his occupation is shown on their marriage certificate as "footman".  It seems that Ann Selina was "disowned" by the Morland family following her marriage to John Limpus. John and Ann Selina  subsequently moved to Brighton where, at the time of the birth of their first child,  James Dainty Limpus in 1848, John Limpus was a "servant". I'm particularly interested in any details of the Morland family in or around Fulham, Putney, Parson's Green ...if anyone has details....? There is no connection at all to the more famous and earlier Fulham resident Sir Samuel Morland as far as I know.

Thanks

Morland family - Westmorland, Kent (Court Lodge), Soho (London) , Fulham/Parsons Green (Middlesex).
Limpus family - Fulham/Putney (Middlesex) - Ragless and Penfold families (West Sussex)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 July 17 23:13 BST (UK) »
Have you approached the Hammersmith & Fulham Archives to see if they have anything in their collections?

https://www.lbhf.gov.uk/libraries/archives-and-local-studies

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline croz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 15:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the tip - I will give them a try.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 15:43 BST (UK) »
Ann Selina Limpus died 26 March 1862, late of Parson's Green, letters of administration granted to husband John Limpus, cowkeeper of Parson's Green.

Ref England and Wales Probate Calendar, Probate index of wills and admins 1858-1966

ADDED
John Morland, upholder of Princes Street wrote his will October 1793 probate 31 May 1799, wife Margaret, son John, brother in law James Hodgson. So his wife's maiden name was Hodgson.

London Lives 1620-1800,
Coroners Inquest into suspicious deaths  The jury lists a Mr. John Morland of the carpet warehouse, Princes Street. 21 July 1798.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 15:54 BST (UK) »
1851, they are at Peterboro Lane Fulham, son John D age 3 born Brighton Sussex, son Morland age 11 months born Fulham. John Limpus senior dairyman employs 2
1861, at 2 Peterboro Row, John Limpus born Putney Surrey age 41 cowkeeper
1871 census 6 Peterboro Row-Dairy and has a sister Harriet Limpus single age 36 as housekeeper.

Offline croz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 21:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for these. I had most of the census info but not the precise date of Ann Selina's death or reference to letters of administration. Just today I also discovered that  her mother, Sarah Ann Morland (nee Ragless) was described in the 1861 census as an "Alms Woman" living in  Mawby Buildings, Burlington Road, which I believe was the original site of Sir William Powell's Almshouses in Fulham, before they were rebuilt and re-sited in 1869. It seems that the reputed "well-to-do" status of the Morland family may have been somewhat reduced by the later years of the 1800s. Certainly her husband John (the Parson's Green mariner/sailor/upholsterer) Morland's father (John Morland  1739-1831) the Soho upholder and cabinet maker was of sufficient business stature to have made  and supplied a secretary desk and stool" for George IV when he was Prince of Wales in 1784 ! I have a copy of his will and yes, his wife was Margaret Hodgson, of Preston. For some reason I had his date of death wrongly recorded as 1831.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 August 17 06:03 BST (UK) »
John Morland married Margaret Hodgson by license in Preston Lancashire 16 March 1773.
On the license he is described as being of Princes Street in the Parish of St James Middlesex Upholsterer.
The license was granted 13 March 1773.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 August 17 06:33 BST (UK) »
Margaret Morland will written 7 August 1812, as widow of Waltham mentions sons John and Henry and daughters Margaret and Cordelia. Will was proved 22 January 1831 by Cordelia Morland spinster and daughter.
This is the wife of John Morland that died 1799.

So children Mary 1774, Thomas 1776, James 1778, Charles 1779 either did not survive until 1812 or had previously been taken care of.