Author Topic: Censuses, births/marriages/deaths etc etc  (Read 8393 times)

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Censuses, births/marriages/deaths etc etc
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Let's not have a witch hunt. The OP could easily be new to the whole world of Family History and thus unaware of some of the problems.

I suggest leaving off the unpleasant comments and accusations and wait for Peter to come back.

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Like he did on his other wind up posting ?

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Quite agree Mike. New member only his second post I am sure he is just trying to find his feet on the our website as well as others that concern family history.

Sarah :)

For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 15:55 GMT (UK) »
I agree actually - there is nothing better than the satisfaction you get when you find something major in the tree or break down a brick wall you have been facing.  There is also nothing like finding old letters or photographs of the family.  If it was all done for you - no one would bother as it would be boring!

Absolutely. I am so glad that I began this all (even as a very late comer) some 12 years ago, back when places like Ancestry were sources of records - not of canned family trees.

Now, when I type in a family member's name in a census search, for instance, I am presented with a list of all the records on the site (including sites that Ancestry has gobbled up, like findagrave) relating to that person ... many of which are only identified by Ancestry because of the extensive corrections and additions I have made to its records. ;)

But it also points me to many unrelated records for people with similar details. (E.g.: a family in east London circa 1900 with the same unusual surname as mine, who managed to have half a dozen kids with the exact same names as my grandparent's siblings; the eldest sons, born the same year, with the same name, were both killed in WWI, etc.) Anybody who followed those trails would be sadly misled.

And then (I haven't read the whole thread yet, but I'm sure someone has mentioned it), what of all the idiot family trees? Like the one (actually, about 50 at Ancestry at any given time, and all over the web elsewhere) that has my Cornwall ancestors making a quick two-way trip across the Atlantic and having (and abandoning) a son in Tennessee in 1775... or the one with a distant Quaker rellie of mine in Pennsylvania whose grandson was 250 years older than him?

When it comes to other people's family trees,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trust,_but_verify
but really: verify first.  ;)

One other quick comment: not everybody wants their family tree accessible to the world and its dog. I don't.

And speaking of the world - does Ancestry still have that One World Tree thing?  ;D
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Why hasn't all the information available been computerised and connected ... there is no reason why ALL family trees are not readily available ... it is illogical that everybody has to research their own ancestry when a simple computer program could correlate everything !?

Surely the fun of it all is to do the research?

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline BrazilianBombshell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 17:30 GMT (UK) »
You certainly need to be doggedly persistent, and be prepared for the inevitable.  It is so much fun and full of surprises.  Like old age, it's not for sissies.
Davies - Brazil
Pooley - London
Preston- Lincoln
Martyn - Lincoln
Cannon - Lincoln
Griffin - Dorset
Poore - Dorset
Dickinson - Leicester & Dorset

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Let's not have a witch hunt. The OP could easily be new to the whole world of Family History and thus unaware of some of the problems.

I suggest leaving off the unpleasant comments and accusations and wait for Peter to come back.

Come on...let's give the guy a chance..he is airing his views on what is freely available and what requires payment, and ...his frustration at not being able to freely access information is clear. I sympathise..as a newbie i felt the same, but we are at the mercy of commercial sites that on the face of it...appear to give free access but end up wanting to pick our pockets.
With hindsight and experience...we soon realise that genealogy is big business and there is only so much research that comes free.
That's why we do what we do...because we have been there.
Don't give up  ;)
Carol 
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Why hasn't all the information available been computerised and connected ... there is no reason why ALL family trees are not readily available ... it is illogical that everybody has to research their own ancestry when a simple computer program could correlate everything !?

Actually that process has already been started, first by individual transcribers and groups of transcribers in the 19th century, later by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
In the past they made attempts with the IGI and their efforts to microfilm Parish Registers etc.
This was updated in the 80s and 90s when computers were more readily available with databases such as the 1881 Census, The British Isles Vital Records Index and many other similar data sets.
Since 2000 they have embraced online records on their familyserch.org site which includes Family Tree. This is their attempt to build a comprehensive family tree by compiling a dataset of family trees accessible from one central point.

Whether familysearch or Ancestry have a greater number of records available I would not like to say but no matter which has the most they both only hold a fraction of the total number of records available.

Such collections have taken many decades to compile and more are still being acquired, the cost so far runs to many millions of US Dollars.

In addition there are many other companies and even governments digitising records that are made publically available.
Companies such as Findmypast and the Genealogist have been making inroads into UK records as well.

If the truth be told it will be many decades yet until one could say with confidence that 50% of records have been digitised let alone all records.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 19:29 GMT (UK) »

Welcome to ROOTSCHAT!!!

I find this an odd question to be honest.

This is just as the heading says...a ROOTSCHAT Forum where people ask questions & people help with replies.

There are no family trees on here as it's a Genealogy CHAT site as well as other topics.

Some people do their own family trees for their own benefit & don't want/need to have it online for anyone else.

Those people have spent a lot of money on genuine certificates which other people seem reluctant to do i.e. why should other's pay for the benefit of people who don't/won't pay  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"