Author Topic: Censuses, births/marriages/deaths etc etc  (Read 8399 times)

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Censuses, births/marriages/deaths etc etc
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Didn't they have something like this on a "Yes Minister episode"  and everyone tried to pass it on to another department.  Yes Minister so often predicted the future.

Jan
  driving licence numbers incorporate your date of birth albeit coded

I feel sure that several government departments  are considering how to  cross reference all our identifying numbers, possibly as fraud prevention measures
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile
Re: An illogical website
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Is my use of a Tablet PC the reason this website doesn't do anything correctly ?   I joined rootsChat because a relative tried to contact me via Ancestry.com (which won't pass along any details without payment) so I ran a search on her name and discovered she's a member of rootsChat. After becoming a member I wasted an hour before learning I couldn't send a message before I'd started 3 topics of conversation (?!). After 2 days (only allowed one post per day) I found that I couldn't respond to any of the comments I recieved (I would have loved to reply to the time waster who simply commented "Who killed cock robin"!). The website is a pain to use since whoever designed it had obviously never heard of a touchscreen ... 'click' items too small for a finger etc etc.  One commenter said that if ones family tree could simply be referenced by a computer program it would remove the pleasure of their "hobby" ... does anyone know of an up to date website that can be used by intelligent people ?  i.e. not rootChat aka pointlessChatter.

QED !

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Bit defeatist, KG.

Hmmm? Pot calling the kettle black, I think?!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Bit defeatist, KG.

Hmmm? Pot calling the kettle black, I think?!

Perhaps time to call  it time on this  thread, don't you think?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 22:12 GMT (UK) »
I joined this week. Still finding my way around. I'm a novice at this kind of thing and with IT in general. So far I've found plenty to interest me. And it's free! Don't look a gift-horse in the mouth.  ;D
Cowban

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: An illogical website
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 22:19 GMT (UK) »
QED !

Agreed! I'm often wrong, but rarely so comprehensively and  spectacularly.

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Quick comment on the concept of a centralised family history record system. I am against. Such a monster would require a team of administrators and a procedure to determine what goes on the monster tree and what is excluded. The monster will have the stronger narrative over individual research and that narrative may have many errors. Recently I had information taken from one of my websites by someone who posted it on a centralised burial site called Find a Grave and made a right mess of it creating lots of errors. These Find a Grave records come up as hints on Ancestry so you can imagine how strange it was to see my own information come back to me in a garbled state  ::) 

Blue