Author Topic: Name of Ship from 1893  (Read 567 times)

Offline OnTheRoad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Name of Ship from 1893
« on: Wednesday 30 November 16 05:47 GMT (UK) »
Could someone please tell me the name of the ship in the attached file? According to his daughter's birth certificate, my grandfather, John Matthew Webb, was employed on this ship as a steward in June / July 1893.

I believe he was in the Merchant Navy and according to my father in 1908 when he was born his father "had gone to sea at a very early age and now due to ill health was back ashore. He had sailed in craft large and small, qualified as a Chef, and mostly saw service overseas. He reached a senior position with the Pacific and Oriental Liners on the eastern seaboard trading between China, Japan and the Asian Islands. He developed double pneumonia and had a lung removed in a hospital in Shanghai, thus leaving him a very sick man and unfit for any strenuous service."

All information and suggestions for further research will be very much appreciated :)
Thanks in anticipation
Cherryl
Dublin:  O'Leary, Greer, Webb, Hood
Seavington, Somerset: Brake, Gibbs, Bargery, Lockyer, England, Phelps, Bishop
Lopen, Somerset: Mitchell
Glamorgan: Mitchell, Thomas
Monmouthshire: Watkins, Hood, Whitcombe
Pembrokeshire: Griffiths
Cardiganshire: Evans, Jones

Online djm297

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Name of Ship from 1893
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 07:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi!

I think it might be "Inchmarlo"...see http://sunderlandships.com/view.php?ref=103939

djm297

Offline OnTheRoad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 08:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the prompt response, djm297. That certainly looks like a possible match:-)

Regards
Cherryl
Dublin:  O'Leary, Greer, Webb, Hood
Seavington, Somerset: Brake, Gibbs, Bargery, Lockyer, England, Phelps, Bishop
Lopen, Somerset: Mitchell
Glamorgan: Mitchell, Thomas
Monmouthshire: Watkins, Hood, Whitcombe
Pembrokeshire: Griffiths
Cardiganshire: Evans, Jones

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 10:52 GMT (UK) »
I think INCHMARLO is a reasonable contender and you have to start some where. There were two vessels around in 1893 with this name. 1/ the vessel mentioned by djm297, official number 96357 owned by the Inch Shipping company, Hamilton Fraser, Registered in the Port of Liverpool.
The other INCHMARLO official number 113418, also registered in Liverpool.

Like I said you have to start some where and I would go with the first vessel O/N 96357.
No central personal records of British merchant seamen were kept between 1857 and 1913. The records for the period of the First World War have been destroyed.

So, the only thing we have to go on are the ships logbooks and crew agreements. Her crew agreements for 1893 are available from here.
https://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/viewcombinedcrews.php?Official_No=96357
Be sure to ask MHA for the crew agreement covering the dates June to July 1893, together with his name and rank, otherwise you may finish up paying for information that is of no concern to you.
https://www.mun.ca/mha/about/orderagreements.php
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022