Author Topic: Harold Fox died 21.05.1932  (Read 886 times)

Offline Peter4447

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harold Fox died 21.05.1932
« on: Wednesday 30 November 16 12:15 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to locate the grave location of a Leading Stoker Harold Fox who died in the Royal Naval Hospital at Haslar, Gosport on the 21st May 1932.  He was definitely not buried or cremated at Gosport so I am assuming he may have been returned to his native Plymouth for burial. Unfortunately at the time of his death his only relations appear to have been a couple of nieces and I wonder whether they would have requested this to happen.  With so many cemeteries in Plymouth I wonder if anybody can advise me of the best way to search please.  As a point of interest his mother never married and she was Henrietta Rogers.
Very many thanks
Peter

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Harold Fox died 21.05.1932
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi

You say his mother never married but that he had nieces.  Presumably his mother had other illegitimate children apart from Harold.

If he was illegitimate - was he known by his fathers surname rather than Rogers?

You also refer to his "native Plymouth" so is that where he was actually born?

I am just wondering if there is any possibility he was buried as Rogers although his death was registered as Fox
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Peter4447

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi

You say his mother never married but that he had nieces.  Presumably his mother had other illegitimate children apart from Harold.

If he was illegitimate - was he known by his fathers surname rather than Rogers?

You also refer to his "native Plymouth" so is that where he was actually born?

I am just wondering if there is any possibility he was buried as Rogers although his death was registered as Fox

Thanks for your reply.
His Mother was Rogers by birth and as far as I can establish Harold was her only child.  It would appear that she gave Harold the Father's name of FOX from birth, although this is an assumption on my part.  Harold was indeed born in Plymouth and the Rogers family appear to have been resident in the Laira area.  I have found nothing at all to indicate that he ever used or was known by the surname of Rogers.
Best regards
Peter

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 20:41 GMT (UK) »
He was 37 when he died so born 1894/95.  There are no plain Harold Fox births in Devon 1894-1896 but there is a Harold John b Plympton Sept qtr 1893

The GRO maiden name search shows mothers maiden name as Rogers but there is no Henrietta Rogers marriage to a Fox before 1893
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 20:49 GMT (UK) »
1901 shows him as Harold Fox aged 7yrs and born Laira and living with grandparents James & Sarah Rogers.  In household is Henrietta Rogers aged 35 

Offline Peter4447

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 22:23 GMT (UK) »
1901 shows him as Harold Fox aged 7yrs and born Laira and living with grandparents James & Sarah Rogers.  In household is Henrietta Rogers aged 35

Harold gave his date of birth as the 1st January 1893 on enlistment into the Royal Navy.  In the 1911 Census Harold is living with Henrietta at the home of Henreitta's brother Frank and her sister Alice who was born in 1884.  Frank calls him his Nephew in the Census, so it seems highly likely that Henrietta was his mother.
Its all very puzzling!
Peter

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Henrietta did have 2 other sisters who were old enough to have given birth to Harold.  Henrietta seems to have died in 1930 in Plymouth