Author Topic: TalkTalk  (Read 2057 times)

Offline tofgem

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
TalkTalk
« on: Wednesday 30 November 16 17:48 GMT (UK) »
I don't think anyone can help, but I need to explode somewhere and rootschatters are good at listening (or rather reading). Having spent hours complaining about Talk Talk, the end of my contract has at last arrived. However, I thought about it and decided that I would continue with them as I could not face a change of email address. I received an email informing me that the cost of my package was to be increased. I was not amused and as I get very cross on the phone I used 'live chat' to complain (hoping for a reduction). After many minutes of typing I was eventually informed that Talk Talk have discontinued their  broadband only service (from tomorrow!!). My email did not state this it just said that the cost of my package was to increase. The agent has logged my complaint and someone is to contact me. I have checked the available services in my area and no-one provides a broadband only service. I have line rental from BT. I only use a pay as you go mobile phone for emergencies, I do not watch much television and I only use my landline when I have to so I do not need a package. I use BT 1571 as an answer phone as I have a phobia of phones and only answer it if I am expecting a call. I rely on email for communication. I really feel up the creek without a paddle. If I had been told that my broadband only service was to be discontinued I would have had time to explore my options, rather than throw a panic as I am now.
 >:(

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile
Re: TalkTalk
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Try PlusNet  ... they are in fact BT owned, but run independantly - have an excellent reputation ...

https://www.plus.net/

Offline Michael J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 18:05 GMT (UK) »
if you are already paying BT line rental why not check out their charge for adding basic broadband - it looks like it's around £6 extra per month.

Michael.

Edit Sorry about the image size, now smaller.

Offline tofgem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your response Lostris. The PlusNet website does offer broadband only. This was not thrown up by the searches I made.

Thanks Michael. I need to check it out.

I have to persuade Talk Talk to keep me connected whilst I explore the possibilities. My problem is that their new contracts begin tomorrow and if they change me over I am locked into an 18 month contract. From the chat line I was told they will not do anything until they contact me after my complaint, which should be within 24 hours. I only contacted them late this afternoon. If their original email had made me aware of the situation I would not be in a panic. I cannot do things in a hurry and if I lose my broadband connection I cannot do anything.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your response Lostris. The PlusNet website does offer broadband only. This was not thrown up by the searches I made.

Yes it does - see https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/broadband-only/.  Not particularly cheap compared to a combined package with phone for new customers.

Up until May (from 2008) I had BB only with PlusNet and Phone with BT but moved the phone across as got better deal.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline tofgem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Panic over. I contacted TalkTalk again as I was really throwing a wobbly. This time the agent checked my account correctly (I hope) and apparently I can stay on broadband only, but it is not offered to new customers. The price increase is 2-00, not 7-00 as stated on the email and as my current contract has expired I am on a month to month contract. The email sent did not apply to me although it did have my account number on it.
This gives me time to explore the options carefully. I agree that it is silly (and expensive) to pay BT line rental and TalkTalk for broadband. I know that a month to month contract works both ways, but it gives me time to think.
This just gives me another reason for leaving TalkTalk.
Thank you for letting me rant and for offering suggestions.

Offline Michael J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 20:25 GMT (UK) »
So nice to hear you now have time to sort things out.

Michael.

Offline mikechristopher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 20:33 GMT (UK) »
I recently just left talk talk to go to bt. Best thing I have done
Nolan, Cremins & O'Connor - County Kerry, Ireland.
Keogh - Queen's County (Laois)
Stack - Limerick & Clare

Offline ringarosy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 22:21 GMT (UK) »
You may want to consider a Web based email (Gmail etc) so you are not reliant on ISP's for theirs.

Or, to go one better, Thunderbird, a stand-alone mail program that downloads a copy of all your emails (from every provider) so they are always on your computer.

You could set one up in you own good time, and then gradually migrate all your contacts over to it. There is nothing to say you can't have several email addresses, most people have several.
Grimes Patterson Keeley -- Warwickshire
Hollis Cooper Solomons Hubbard Moses Merrott -- Bethnal Green, Hackney
Dunlop Grimes -- NSW