Author Topic: Lamberton Toll marriages  (Read 539 times)

Offline jditchburn

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lamberton Toll marriages
« on: Wednesday 30 November 16 19:06 GMT (UK) »
I Had been searching for a marriage of Captain David Ditchburn and his wife Isabella  who are recorded in the 1861 cencus with their daughter Mary - by chance I came across a reference in THE NEWCASTLE COURANT dated 10th June 1853 - marriages list
         Lamberton Toll -1st June 1853 - David Ditchburn of Longhoughton to Isabella Young of Alnmouth along with several others, As their Daughter Mary was born several weeks after the marriage I can see why a hurried marriage system and place was used -( East coast's Equivalent to Gretna Green) but why are these not listed even in family Search.com

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lamberton Toll marriages
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 19:23 GMT (UK) »

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 December 16 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat jditchburn,

you posted your reply to me in error, I have posted it below for you.

"I ref to Lamberton Toll Marriages - I attach a scan of the marriage section of the Newcastle Courant dated Friday 10th June 1853 - this shows the marriage of several couples wed on 1st June 1853 - in particular - Captain David Ditchburn of the ship Gloriana, born at Longhoughton in 1824
Lamberton toll,-  David Ditchburn of Longhoughton to Isabella Young of Alnmouth
Contacted Scotlands people but their list only goes up to 1849 ,
I have found many others dating up to Sept 15th 1855 edition of the Ilustrated Berwick Journal  -2nd sept 1855-James Carss bookbinder of Alnwick to Ann Weatherhead
                                                                                                   8th Sept 1855- Robert Chirnside of Bells Hill to Jane Stevenson 
So it may pay to check local papers for missing relatives- British Newspaper Archives is a Good place to start as I just typed in Lamberton Toll  and search"
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 December 16 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Not a direct reference to the question you posted but it may concern the sea going career of Captain Ditchburn If it is indeed the correct person. The Birth year is a little out but this is not unusual for maritime records.
DITCHBURN, David b. Northumberland 1826  Masters certificate number S72087 changed to S92087 (vol. 46)
vol.4 1856-73; vol.18 1874-79; vol.31 1880-81, 1887; vol.46 1888-90
This record is from Lloyd's Captains Register. Copies may be obtained from London Metropolitan Archives. It will give the names of the ship's he captained together with dates, plus a brief resume of the voyages they made.
If you cannot easily visit LMA, they do have a very good research service. It is your call weather you think the cost is worthwhile. Once you have this information you can then go on to view Logbooks and Crew Agreements to give you a fuller picture of his maritime career.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld