Author Topic: Parish Registers, Clonakilty? - Robert Bennett  (Read 6754 times)

Offline StephenFNQ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parish Registers, Clonakilty? - Robert Bennett
« on: Thursday 01 December 16 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Robert is my GG grandfather, he married Esther Kingston on 21 Feb 1846 in Desertserges, Cork.  I have found a death record for a Robert Bennett (Ireland Deaths 1864 - 1958 Transcription) that shows death registered Apr - Jun 1890, District Clonakilty, his age 78, birth year 1812.  Not sure if this is my Robert.

Have also found Robert Bennett in Griffiths Valuation 1848 - 1864, Parish of Kilgarriff.  Again, not sure if my Robert. Griffiths also shows a Abraham Bennett and a James Bennett.  Not sure if related.  Also shows George Kingston and Samuel Kingston, not sure if related to Esther.

Robert & Esther had at least 2 children, John born abt 1853 and Samuel (my G grandfather) born abt 1857.  Both John and Samuel were born in Clonakilty and emigrated to Australia and settled in Rockhampton, Queensland.  Samuel died in 1903 and John died in 1933.  I have obtained their parents details and approx DOB from their death certificates.  Both John and Samuel are buried in the Church of England section of the North Rockhampton cemetery so I presume Robert was also?

I have conducted searches on many different websites and not been able to advance my search.

Looking for advice/recommendations on how to advance my search to gather more info, e.g., -

1.  To confirm the above info.
2.  Parents of Robert & Esther.
3.  Other children of Robert & Esther, names, DOB, DOD.
4.  Burial location of Robert & Esther.
5.  Are there decendants of Robert & Esther still in the Clonakilty area?  My wife and I will be visiting Ireland next year intending to visit Clonakilty and would like to meet up with any relatives.

This is not my complete info list, a starting point . . .

Many thanks for any suggestions/assistance.

regards
Steve

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Registers, Clonakilty? - Robert Bennett
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 December 16 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat Steve.
Unfortunately the images of the Certs for deaths and marriage are not online yet for these dates but they will be at some point.
However the fact that the marriage was registered does confirm a Church of Ireland marriage. RC marriages were not registered until 1864.
Robert Bennett death 1890
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/f8a89517687498
Esther and Robert marriage
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/7a67a114488556
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/49bbfe14479827

You can however get photocopies of the Certs for €4 each using the form here
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/civil-records/help/i-want-to-get-a-copy-of-a-certificate-what-do-i-do
Marriage Certs only have father's name not the mother's.

Offline StephenFNQ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 December 16 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Sinann.  Will those Certs show parents names, children's names and burial location?

Would they also have a record (and Cert) for death of Esther?

I'm not familiar with Irish issued Certificates.

Many thanks.
Steve

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 December 16 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Sinann.  Will those Certs show parents names, children's names and burial location?

Would they also have a record (and Cert) for death of Esther?

I'm not familiar with Irish issued Certificates.

Many thanks.
Steve

There is isn't a great deal of information on the Certs.
Use the links in the last section of this page to see images of Certs and what each can tell you
http://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/Irish-civil-registration.html
Worth having a look around that site, it's very informative.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 December 16 01:22 GMT (UK) »
It can be very difficult to be sure if you have the correct death for a person unless the informant is a family member know to you, even if the above is the correct Robert you may never find proof that it is.
I don't see an oblivious death for Esther, it is possible she died before registration began, or had moved to another area, IF the cert for Robert is correct it will say if he was widowed or not which might help.

Offline StephenFNQ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 December 16 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much Sinann.  I have had a quick look at the Irish Genealogy site, very informative indeed.  I'll have a good look when time permits.

On Esther, I have found a record in the Ireland Census 1901 for a Hester Bennett, aged 86 (born abt 1815), mother, widow, at House 10, Kilgarriffe, Clonakilty, Cork.  Her age fits and so does the widow part.  She is recorded living with Thomas aged 48, (born abt 1853), farmer and his wife Mary aged 32 (born abt 1869) with children Robert 10, Hester Anne 8, Eliza 6 and Annie 4.

Esther is recorded as Hester on Samuel's & John's Queensland Death Certificates, so I'm not overly concerned with that difference, although not sure at this stage if Hester is my Esther and if Thomas is a sibling of Samuel and John.  However, there are key names, Robert, Hester, Thomas and Mary that feature in Samuel's children in Australia.  Now that Church of Ireland is most likely their religion (had thought it was Catholic), hopefully that will make searching easier.

For the 1911 Census, very similar results for Thomas and Mary, no Hester now but with new child Mary aged 9, at House 12 Kilgarriff, Cork.

I'll see what information Irish Genealogy can provide.

For information prior to civil records, like birth/baptisim records for Samuel, John, Thomas, Robert & Esther, is that local parish records?  And would that be (most likely) Kilgarriff Parish COI records?  How do I do that?

Many thanks for any/all assistance.

Steve

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 December 16 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline StephenFNQ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 December 16 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Ann.  Interesting, Mary's listed father, certainly looks like Robert Bennett, bit hard to read, what do people think?

Also, witness, is that Thomas Bennett?

Thank you again.

Thanks for all contributions.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 December 16 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Church of Ireland Records list
https://www.ireland.anglican.org/cmsfiles/pdf/AboutUs/library/registers/ParishRegistersTable.pdf
Kilgarriff is on page 55 yellow code.
Which means they are held by Representative Church Body Library, Churchtown, Dublin 14

Anglican Record Project.
None of the old links worked, they seem to have updated their site.
https://www.ireland.anglican.org/about/rcb-library/anglican-record-project