Author Topic: Ancestor chart with vertical date axis?  (Read 928 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Ancestor chart with vertical date axis?
« on: Thursday 01 December 16 11:32 GMT (UK) »
I have done a search but can't find a query about this - let's hope I can explain what I mean  :D.

I would like to be able to produce a direct ancestor chart where the box with an ancestor's name/dates is arranged vertically according to year of birth [as if the year of birth was plotted on a vertical axis]. If that doesn't quite make sense  ;D it could be visualised as the boxes in one 'generation' not all being in horizontal straight lines. I could then overlay this on a background which has historical events listed on that axis.

Mr Josey suggested using Microsoft Publisher somehow as you can move boxes around, but I don't know how I would import the ancestor data and I would really like the chart to be produced automatically from any tree I choose. 

Are there any family history programmes that can produce an ancestor chart like this? At present I use Family Tree Maker 2010; I have as yet found no way to even put the dates in this chart - only the name appears.

Thanks for any help & advice, Josey

Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestor chart with vertical date axis?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 December 16 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Do you mean a Timeline Chart?

The attached is one I have just done using RootsMagic..
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 December 16 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that's on the right lines, thank you very much.

But I hoped to have it linked together like an ancestor chart showing the relationship with the dates/historic events along the side. Thus these boxes would be spread out vertically.

IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 December 16 17:38 GMT (UK) »
So it would look something like this ?

"Look to the left to see when they were born, etc"
and on the right, the events of those times ...

I've never seen or heard of a program that does it that way,
but ... early days .... maybe someone else knows just the program :)

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 December 16 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Spot on Bob  :) thanks for that. At the moment I can see me cutting out the boxes & sticking them on a background but now there is a picture of my 'fantasy' chart, as you say someone may know a suitable programme. Or even write one  ::)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 December 16 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Before you do a (literal) Cut&Paste, think about Power Point or the (free) OpenOffice equivalent.
Boxes and lines are then objects which you can move around the page as you wish.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 December 16 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Ahh, thank you. I have Open Office.