Author Topic: 1841 census details  (Read 940 times)

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1841 census details
« on: Thursday 01 December 16 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Today I discovered a series of census pages on the 1841 census for Paddington road Marylebone, which had me wondering what the instructions to householders actually were.
Was the householder required to complete country / county of birth and actual age and it was the enumerator who did the age rounding and translated the pob answers in "born in county" Yes/ No, and Scotland/Ireland/Foreign Parts.?
The pages I have found have an odd mix. There are more than average who look like their ages are rounded, but plenty which look like actual adult ages. And quite a lot of people who were not born in county (Middlesex) have birth county written in the column for Scot/Ire/Foreign. So the householders must have written that information on their original forms.

So a belated thank you to that enumerator, I now know that a lady who married in 1834 (so I don't know her father's name) and died before 1851 (so I didn't expect to find accurate age and pob) was born in Herefordshire.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census details
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 December 16 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 December 16 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you i was looking for something like that. So it seems that the enumerator did the rounding  - or not in some cases. And it implies they also enetred the bic yes/no question rather than the householder. Interesting F (foreign) only applies to Foreign subject born abroad, I wonder what they were supposed to put for a British subject born abroad then?

It also says the totals on each page may be done at home - did this mean that all other entries must be done when they were going out collecting the householders' forms - doesn't sound that easy.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 December 16 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you i was looking for something like that. So it seems that the enumerator did the rounding  - or not in some cases.

The rounding was asked for by whoever filled in the Householder's Schedule
You can see a description of the 1841 Householder's Schedule at http://www.rootschat.com/links/01iym/

Specimen of the Enumerator's Schedule, and instructions, from the official report of the 1841 Census at http://www.rootschat.com/links/01iyn/

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk