Author Topic: A Cato Mystery  (Read 2039 times)

Offline MercianSte

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: A Cato Mystery
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 08:46 BST (UK) »
I am just putting the following information here so that I have somewhere online to keep my notes (I have a habit of loosing them if I keep them in writing or save them on a computer!).

William Wakley
The William Wakley shown on the census as being in the barracks at Aldershot is down as being born at Lincoln around 1833. However, his army records state he was born at Leicester in 1832, and was discharged from Aldershot in January 1872. The records also state that he intended to become a Tailor in Leicester after his discharge. There is a death in the December Quarter 1872 for a William Wakely (note the slightly different spelling) at Leicester, aged 40 years (1832 again). If Elizabeth was living as William's wife then she has just moved a lot closer to Burton and William's death would explain why there relationship ended.

Charles Cato
I have narrowed down Charles Cato to two likely individuals. One was living on the 1871 Census in London with his parents and was down as a Coachman aged 33 years (born 1838). This Charles is still in London on the 1881, now living with his "wife" Sarah and I presume his step son William (aged 17). Charles is still a Cab Driver, and I can find no record of his marriage to Sarah between the census's.

The second Charles is living on the 1881 Census in Ealing, London with his "wife" Mary. Charles is 48 years old (born 1833) and born Tring, Hertfordshire. Charles describes himself as a Labourer, by the 1901 census he starts calling himself a Navvy which I believe meant Railway Labourer by the late 19th century (this fits perfectly with the Birth Certificate that started off my search). Once again, I can find no record of his marriage to Mary, but Mary is down as being born in Kegworth, Leicestershire on the 1881 census, this points to the possibility that Charles may have travelled to the East Midlands (in particular Leicester) at some point in his life. Also, interesting to note is that I believe this Charles was in the Army up until the early 1870's, so perhaps there was some sort of connection between Charles Cato and William Wakley (even though they served in different regiments).

Offline MercianSte

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: A Cato Mystery
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 08:47 BST (UK) »
Sorry, duplicate post