Author Topic: Boston Lincolnshire Group?  (Read 1745 times)

Offline Tackrill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Boston Lincolnshire Group?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 December 16 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Good morning Geoff,

Thank you for the links & your previous help earlier! I'm amazed & humbled by all the help I've had so far & the swift response to my posts on this site.

It's fantastic that people are so willing to assist & provide pointers on how to proceed.

Cheers!

Terry

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 31 December 16 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Dear All,

Pam, Pstainthorp et al!

The good news is I'm within 45 minutes of Boston so the library lead mentioned by Pam was on my radar. However, there's a burning issue I have as regards one family individual. I'm trying to establish the fate of my Great Grandfather, Samuel Overton born in 1866 in Sibsey. He married Lucy White of Leake in 1887 & they lived in both Green Street & Joiners Row in town. In the 1911 Census he's not registered with the family (the majority of which moved to Grimsby sometime after) but there is a Samuel Overton recorded as died in 1921 aged 53. The age doesnt tally up by a couple of years so I was hoping someone could help to clarify if this is indeed my man. I'd also appreciate the location of Joiners Row in the town too.  ;)

Thanks to you all in advance & for your assistance previously.

Terry

Hi Terry

Have you seen on the 1911 census

Samuel Overton, age 44, Lodger, Fellmongers? labourer, born Sibsey. Address is James Street Skirbeck. Someone very kindly wrote that he'd been married 23 years - ties in with Lucy.
Head of household is Hannah Maria Fletcher aged 44, born Butterwick.
Registration district:   Boston
Registration District Number:   415
Sub-registration district:   Boston
ED, institution, or vessel:   11
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 31 December 16 13:03 GMT (UK) »
I haven't checked to see if there were any other couples with the same names in the area.

Stamford Mercury - 22 May 1908
Page 5 of 8
Boston Borough Police

PS I'm sorry it's so big!

There are other reports, but if you'd like to find them for yourself there is a £1 for a months world subscription to FindMyPast at the moment (remember to remove the auto-renewal option after if you sign up). Or info may also be on British Newspaper Archive. Usually free at libraries.  :)

Offline Tackrill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 31 December 16 17:13 GMT (UK) »
AngelFish,

Thank you so much for your time regarding my Great Grandfather Samuel Overton  ;D

The information you have found is fantastic! I've since received a death certificate for Samuel but it shows his age at death as 53 rather than the 55 I know he actually reached. I've also found the location of his burial in Boston cemetary although sadly its unmarked.

You've helped me so much with the census snippet & newspaper cutting I can't thank you enough  :-*

All I can say is I wish you a very happy 2017 & the best of health.

Yours... Terry

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 31 December 16 18:06 GMT (UK) »
AngelFish,

Thank you so much for your time regarding my Great Grandfather Samuel Overton  ;D

The information you have found is fantastic! I've since received a death certificate for Samuel but it shows his age at death as 53 rather than the 55 I know he actually reached. I've also found the location of his burial in Boston cemetary although sadly its unmarked.

You've helped me so much with the census snippet & newspaper cutting I can't thank you enough  :-*

All I can say is I wish you a very happy 2017 & the best of health.

Yours... Terry

To you too  :)

I also think it is the correct death certificate. The age is recorded as the one given by the informant, easily be wrong if they didn't know the deceased well, or were upset. Pleased you found him.

Happy New Year