Author Topic: Stuart family tree  (Read 3927 times)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stuart family tree
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 December 16 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Forfarian, Professor Smout is very interesting on this. He was one one of my go to sources when I encountered and wished to understand so many illegitimate births in Banffshire. He also makes the point that it is often found in the same families. (In my McRobert research it runs through five generations!). 

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 December 16 16:37 GMT (UK) »
I have a whole branch of the family - 6 generations, two dozen people, one marriage certificate among them!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 December 16 21:20 GMT (UK) »
This is probably the birth record for Margaret, daughter of Isabella.

Margaret Spallon or Stuart birth 28 March 1858 Inveravon, Banffshire Father Patrick Spallon Mother Isabella Stuart.

In searching for Patrick Spallon I then located this marriage: Patrick Spallan to Janet Stuart 28 Jan 1860, Inveravon and this birth: Patrick Spallan 26 May 1860 Parents Patrick Spallan and Jessie Stuart.

It may be coincidence of course but it may well be the same Patrick Spallan who was father in both cases.

Come the 1861 census Janet Spallon can be located with son Patrck (and two older children Charles and Elizabeth, surname showing as Spallon but births can be found as surname Stuart with no father named). Patrick senior is not present and I can find no other further trace of him. Indeed there are two births showing in 1867, 27 March, Inveravon for a John Stuart and a George Stuart, mother Jane Stuart or Spallan.

This family can also be located in the 1871 census as Spallan (or Spalan). Later the surname seems to have morphed into Spaldiing.

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 December 16 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Just one more post before the OP hopefully returns.

I wonder if there is an RC connection to this family. The following records can be located on Scotland's People from Tombae, The Incaranation.  (Tombae is in Glenlivet).

Might this be the baptism of Janet (Jessie) McKay?

Janet McKay Parents William McKay and Isabel Stuart Born 1/10/1851 Baptised 23/11/1851.

Also note this baptism

Margaret Spallan Parents Patrick Spallan and Isabella Stewart Born 28/3/1858 Baptised 18/6/1858

And these

Charles Spallan Parents Patrick Spallan and Janet Stewart Born 6/6/1858 Baptised 18/6/1858 (Just realised while typing that this is the same baptism date as Margaret Spallan).

Patrick Spallan Parents Patrick Spallan and Janet Stewart Born 26/5/1860 Baptised 3/6/1860

Elizabeth Spallon Parents Patrick Spallon and Janet Stewart Born 28/9/1856 Baptised 2/10/1856

The dates of birth  correspond with those on Family Search from Inveravon for Charles Stuart and Elizabeth Stuart mother Jessie Stuart (no father named). The date of birth on Family Search for George and John Stuart mother Jessie Stuart also corresponds with this RC :

George and John Spolen Father William Spolen  - no mother named in index. Born 29/3/1867 and 27/4/1867.

Certainly an intriguing situation!

William