Author Topic: Betsy Dunn Death  (Read 629 times)

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Betsy Dunn Death
« on: Friday 02 December 16 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I've hit a brick wall with my great great grandparents, Edwin Dunn (b. 1850 Kingswinford, Staff.) and Betsy Dunn nee Brooks (b. 1849 Lye, Worc.). Edwin seems to disappear after about 1892. Betsy lists herself as a widow in the 1901 and 1911 census. I cannot find a death record for Edwin.

I ordered a death certificate for a Betsy Dunn who died at age 79 in February of 1928. The information says she died 23 February 1928  at Stream Road, Wordsley, Kingswinford. Other information included she was of 16 King Street, Wollescote, Worc. Widow of Edward Dunn (Ironplate Worker). She died due to shock from being burned on her right side, right arm, and right leg from her kitchen grate.

At first I dismissed this record because the record said she lived died in Kingswinford and was the widow of Edward Dunn.  Now I'm starting to wonder if she is my Betsy Dunn. My Betsy lived in Wollescote in the 1881, 1891, 1901, and 1911 Census. Her husband was Edwin Dunn and he was a bucket maker (1881 census and various Directories) as well as a galvanizer (specializing mostly in buckets). On their son's (George Harry Dunn) marriage record (1915) he lists Edwin was a Sheet Iron Worker (Master). The death was registered by the coroner and not a family member. I'm wondering if maybe they got her husband's name wrong and wrote him down as Edward instead of Edwin. Is that too much of a stretch? Part of me wonders if I'm so desperate for a little bit of information that I'm starting to grasp at straws.

Would someone be able to track down a marriage between a Betsy and an Edward Dunn? I have the marriage certificate for Edwin Dunn and Betsy Brooks. They married in 1872 in Bromsgrove.

**Edit: A marriage or anything in a Census to show an Edward Dunn married to a Betsy. Thanks!**

Any help would be so great. Thanks!
Stuart (India, Antrim, Armagh)
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Dunn/Taylor (Worcestershire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Hill/Rhodes (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Perry (Devon, Worcestershire)
Maynard (Essex, Yorkshire)
Jennings (Devon)
Coldicott (Warwickshire, Gloucestershire)

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Betsy Dunn Death
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 December 16 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Would this be your Betsy? -

1901 -

Betsy Dunn   wid 51
George Dunn   17
Alfred John Sparrow   33
RG13 Piece 2755 Folio 121 Page 16, Lye and Wollescote

JJ

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 December 16 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi!

Yes, that's my Betsy. She's living with her son (my great grandad) in 1911. In 1891 she's listed as Betsy Brooks, living with her mother, Elizabeth Brooks.
Stuart (India, Antrim, Armagh)
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Dunn/Taylor (Worcestershire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Hill/Rhodes (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Perry (Devon, Worcestershire)
Maynard (Essex, Yorkshire)
Jennings (Devon)
Coldicott (Warwickshire, Gloucestershire)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 December 16 19:11 GMT (UK) »
To prevent going over ground recently covered

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=757513.0
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea