Author Topic: Dominy families in Greenspond, NL  (Read 799 times)

Offline Papijean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dominy families in Greenspond, NL
« on: Friday 02 December 16 22:06 GMT (UK) »
I found the name of DOMINY on a memorial panel on the battlefields of Flanders and that piqued my interest in trying to trace the family line back to the UK.  Harry Dominy was the name I found and, from his army details I know his father was Edgar J b1871.  From the Greenspond Letter dated October 1995, quoting the 1911 census it shows his mother as Annie Alice, b 1870, and there were 6 children living in the household at that time.  The census shows two other Dominy households in Greenspond at the time.

From familysearch.org it looks as though THAT family link originated with a John Dominy from Norfolk in about 1800, but, despite quite a lot of digging, I have not been able to identify the birth of that John.

If possible, I would like to document the links back  so can anyone help with the NL side, please?

Thank you

PJ
Dominy in Dorset and London
Dominy in Newfoundland
Kislingbury

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dominy families in Greenspond, NL
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 December 16 04:43 GMT (UK) »
http://ngb.chebucto.org/
Site for Newfoundland genealogy

Edgar John Dominy born to Charles (John Charles) Dominy and Leah Young.  The marriage of John Charles to Leah in 1871 shows his origin as Poole, Dorset, England.

Offline Papijean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 December 16 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  I had tried to browse chebucto, but obviously didn't see that information.  We have developed a lot of information from the Dorset area of various variations of the spelling of the surname so will do a search there first

PJ
Dominy in Dorset and London
Dominy in Newfoundland
Kislingbury

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 December 16 06:14 GMT (UK) »
John Charles Dominy born 11 June 1845 Poole, Dorset to John Dominy and Louisa Mary Ann.
John Dominy s/o James married Louisa Mary Ann Stark, d/o Timothy 11 Jan 1841 Poole.
Louisa Dominy, widowed is on 1871 British census with daughter Julia 1851 Newfoundland, Ellen born 1854 Newfoundland and son Timothy born 1858 Poole.
Family tree has marriage license for John and Louisa which shows his occupation as mariner.