Author Topic: Look-up Request - Chelsea Pensioner Admissions and Discharges (WO116/11)  (Read 685 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look-up Request - Chelsea Pensioner Admissions and Discharges (WO116/11)
« on: Saturday 03 December 16 00:15 GMT (UK) »
I have found reference to a Thos Gibsone born 1766 at St Mary's Leicester being admitted or examined on 3 May 1802, who just might be my 4x Great Grandfather - and if it is then the details I currently have are completely wrong  :-\

Unfortunately I don't have access to the new Anc/Fold3 records to see what other information is given so would really appreciate it if anyone is able to help me out.

What caught my eye is that he is a Drummer and my 3 x Great Grandfather was also a Drummer, but in a different Regiment.  My 4 x GG also disappears completely around 1802, so the timing is also very intriguing. 

Many thanks in advance if anyone can help.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Look-up Request - Chelsea Pensioner Admissions and Discharges (WO116/11)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 December 16 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to anyone who looked - it turns out that Anc/Fold 3 have indexed it wrongly and the name should be Gisborne, so I have managed to locate it elsewhere.   
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 December 16 11:39 GMT (UK) »
As well as his record on Findmypast, the National Archive's index for him says that he also served with the Leicestershire Militia. Their muster books should be in Kew (not online). It may answer the question why he enlisted as a Regular in Liverpool. Militiamen were selected by ballot, so you should ask the Leicestershire Record Office if they have any information, including the 'census' of eligible males over 16 they used in the ballot. You may find some of his male relatives.

At times during the wars with France/USA the army asked for volunteers from the Militias to become Regulars (for a bounty) so that they could serve overseas.

Also, as with any member of the Guards, if you can spare £30, you can ask their archivist if they still have their copy of his record. The record on Findmypast will have come from the pensions departments and they are known to have culled records very severely to save space over the years.

http://www.grengds.com/static.php?content_id=9

Ken

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 December 16 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken

Thanks very much for your reply.  As the correct surname is Gisbourne rather than Gibsone (as indexed by Anc/Fold3) then I think I can be satisfied that he isn't my 4xG Grandfather, but the ballot information may well be a good reference point in any event as he simply vanishes some time around 1802/3.  His wife re-married as a widow in 1810 but there is no record of his death in Leicestershire.

His eldest son - my 3xGG - turns up as a substitute in Kent in 1803 and from there joined the regulars (57th), but I've no idea why he would have been anywhere outside of Leicestershire.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 December 16 13:21 GMT (UK) »
I researched Gisborne/Gisbourne

Ken