Author Topic: John Allington 1802-1880 Great Easton  (Read 1713 times)

Offline olleym

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Allington 1802-1880 Great Easton
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 December 16 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Burial, Gt Easton 29.11.1870, Elizabeth Allerton, aged 70
In view of the age, and transcribing of name in baptisms I suspect this is Elizabeth Allington

Mark
Olleys in Essex

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 December 16 23:53 GMT (UK) »
With regard to people of Great and Little Easton being married, buried or baptising children in parishes other than that where they are living, just thought I'd mention you might see the home parish as Much, Great or Little Ashen.

About a year ago my research found ancestor's children baptised at Thaxted, Essex and the parents stated to be "of Much Ashen", checked Ashen PRs and found no mention of the family name, then the trail led to Great Easton, other baptisms, burials and marriages proved that the "Much Ashen" was in fact Much/Great Easton.  Since then I have found similar instances with other of my family names. 

Not sure how this problem came about, probably due to the way people of Great & Little Easton pronounce Easton and the recording clerks being unfamiliar with Easton, Ashen in Essex is still a very small populated village and it has always been just Ashen, no Little or Great Ashen.

Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline squawki11

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 December 16 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Once again, thanks to all for details of marriage & baptisms & mother's maiden name. That's a few more gaps filled and I'll be back with a few more queries...but I didn't know about the GRO development and will now attempt to use it. ;D