Author Topic: George Audley and Margaret Blair 1803 in Liverpool  (Read 1897 times)

Offline Deesider

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Audley and Margaret Blair 1803 in Liverpool
« on: Saturday 03 December 16 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi can any body help?

I have come across a baptism 5th April 1803 at St Mathew's Church Scotland Road , Liverpool

Baptism reads George son of George Audley, Gentleman of Freemasons Row and his wife Margaret late Blair

I would suspect that this is the same George Audley and Margaret Blair who had a marriage licence granted to them by the diocese of Cork and Ross, Ireland in 1802.

Can anybody please tell me where they were after 5th April 1803

Thanks in anticipation of your help

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Audley and Margaret Blair 1803 in Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 December 16 13:03 GMT (UK) »
A tree on Ancestry has them back in Ireland marriage for George Audley 1826 Waterford to Sarah Robinson...Death for George Audley 24/4/1864 Waterford might be worth checking
Rosie

Offline Deesider

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 December 16 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie,
Many thanks for your reply. I have seen the members trees on Ancestry, but my concern is how do I know that they are correct.  I know quite a bit of information about the family of George Audley who married Sarah Robinson. The grave stone of  George Audley in Abbeylands Cemetery Waterford  indicates that George  Audley was 63 when he died in 1864 indicating that he was born between 24th April 1800 and 24th April 1801. I have a copy of a letter from the Grandson of the George Audley (who died in 1864). The letter was written in 1931 and states that his grandfather was born 19th April 1801.  This information being written on the back of a photograph, that was in his fathers effects.

The grandson was born in Australia so would never have seen his grandfathers grave stone but the information he had supports the information on the gravestone. The gravestone information and the grandson's information does no fit in with the birth and baptism of George Audley in 1803 in Liverpool. Hence my concerns with the Ancestry trees

I know that George Audley and Sarah Robinson had 6 daughters but none of them were named  Margaret, surely if Margaret Blair was the mother of George Audley of Waterford, one of his daughters would have the same name as his mother.

Therefore to me George Audley and Margaret Blair are not the parents of the George Audley who died in Waterford in 1864.  If they were then there would be a burial record of a Margaret Audley in that part of Ireland but I cannot find one.

I do not understand why a George Audley and a Margaret Blair would marry in 1802 in Cork and then have their child baptised in Liverpool in 1803. I can guess why they needed to marry by licence, but not why the baptism took place in Liverpool.

Could it be that Margaret's parents lived in Liverpool or were they emigrating to America (or elsewhere) and Liverpool was an intermediate  port of call.

What are your thoughts

Regards
The Wirral Way

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 December 16 10:04 GMT (UK) »
There is a George Audley born around 1788

died 1878 aged 90 in Rathdown.
Bolingbroke (Norfolk & Suffolk) Chittleburgh (Yorkshire & Norfolk) Dawson (Essex & Hertfordshire) Donkin (Newcastle & Durham) Gregg (Lancashire & Cumbria) Johnson (Lancashire) Spalding (Norfolk) Stannard - (Essex & Norfolk)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 December 16 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Yes thought it strange myself with the marriage in Ireland then the baptism in Liverpool do you have any other family members for this couple
Rosie

Offline Deesider

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 December 16 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie,
Many thanks for your two most recent replies.

My concern with  the death of George Audley in Rathdown in 1878 aged 90 is that in 1802 he would have been about 14 years old. To me this is too young to have got married by licence, but may be not.

I have no other information about the George Audley who married Margaret Blair in Cork in 1802 and were the parents of George baptised in Liverpool in 1803.

With Regard to the George Audley who married Sarah Robinson in 1826 in Waterford I have a 29 page document about them and their children and I am in contact with living descendants in Canada, Australia and New Zealand.  My goal is to identify the parents of the George Audley who married Sarah Robinson in 1826.

I have seen some Ancestry Members trees that indicate that George Audley and Margaret Blair are the parents of the George Audley who married Sarah Robinson but to me the evidence does not match the speculation
Regards
The Wirral Way

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 December 16 15:25 GMT (UK) »
14 years old is a bit too young to get married. Although, my 4th great grandmother Alice Hornby married when she was 15, her husband was 10 years older. So I guess it could be possible.

Beth
Bolingbroke (Norfolk & Suffolk) Chittleburgh (Yorkshire & Norfolk) Dawson (Essex & Hertfordshire) Donkin (Newcastle & Durham) Gregg (Lancashire & Cumbria) Johnson (Lancashire) Spalding (Norfolk) Stannard - (Essex & Norfolk)

Offline Deesider

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 December 16 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Beth,
Many thanks for your replies.  Like you I have seen a number of instances where someone has married very young but in the cases I have see it is the bride who was 'a minor' and the groom was significantly older. I have never seen it where the groom was a minor and the bride older.

In your opinion is it sufficient to say that the George Audley who died in Rathdown, Ireland in 1878 aged 90 must be the father called George Audley of a baptism 200 miles away in 1803 in Liverpool, England and the child in that baptism, also called George Audley must be the George Audley who married Sarah Robinson in 1826 in Waterford Ireland (75 miles south of Rathdown);  or do I need to find more information?

Regards
The Wirral Way

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 December 16 23:02 GMT (UK) »
effects under three hundred pound
8th May
George Audley

late  of 131 The Quay in the County and city of Waterford
shop keeper deceased who died 24th April 1864
at the same place were granted at Waterford to Sarah Audley
of the Quay aforesaid the widow of said deceased
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,