Author Topic: Old Chapel Yard, Friargate, Preston  (Read 4072 times)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old Chapel Yard, Friargate, Preston
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 December 16 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Re-Published 1993 by Berwyn Books, Buckley, UK.
Available on internet for £6.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/Twenty-Preston-Guilds-Catholic-Congregation-Wilfrids/10134358334/bd

Or £10?
http://www.yesteryearbooks.co.uk/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=22784&keyword=Booklet,&searchby=keyword&offset=1000&fs=1

(Says publisher was Preston, Lancashire Sanctuary Bookshop 1993)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 December 16 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Some very important people (King Richard II) have been dug up from beneath Car Parks, you know.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 December 16 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Threlfall,  It was Richard the Third. That's the problem with Roman numerals.
He's relevant to the current debate about descendants of Edward, Third of that name.
Just in case anyone doesn't know, the Wars of the Roses was not fought between Lancashire & Yorkshire.
Doubt there's any royals lying under the  car-park in Preston.
Cowban

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 December 16 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Ooops, sorry, and thanks for the correction. I did know that, just the fingers doing the typing seemed to have slipped up, what a twitty thing to do (blushes gently) - I may never live that down! I won't modify my original post, or your reply would look odd, just sit in the shame of a typing error.

Wonder if there are any still-missing royals to discover anywhere? Perhaps we ought to list 'em all, and see? That'd keep someone busy for a few years, wouldn't it?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 December 16 16:20 GMT (UK) »
TY

It's called dyslexic fingers! :D ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 December 16 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Ah, if only I could spell that.....

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 05 December 16 20:54 GMT (UK) »
The find of KR3 was followed by a search for King Alfred the Great. The only find was a bone which may have belonged to his son, another great king.
Richard's wife was his sister-in-law and his cousin's daughter by the way. His brother, King Edward went totally out on a limb and married someone to whom he wasn't related. He may have done it twice.
Should the royal bones search be a new thread? I'm a novice here so don't know the rules.
I also have dyslexic finger.
Cowban

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 06 December 16 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Oh, we usually get down one or two sidetracks, as we move along. We'll get back to Proud Preston soon.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 06 December 16 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Yorky, My mother often quoted the lines "Proud Preston, poor people, high churches, low steeple". Her mother was born there. Her dad's paternal ancestors lived in Preston too, not Scotland as my mother thought. There was a Scot among them, but further back than I'd expected. The pub on the street where he lived was called the Robert Burns Tavern. He was married at St. Ignatius Church which I've been told was the 1st in Preston to have a spire and one of the 1st Catholic churches built after the Reformation in England to have one. When R.C. churches became legal at the end of 18thC they weren't allowed spires, towers or bells. St. Ignatius was new when GGGGF married.
The old chapel in Old Chapel Yard was an illegal one and liable to be confiscated by the Crown. Its replacement, St. Mary, was also illegal when it was built. The ownership was held in trust by various people over many years in deliberate obfuscation.
Cowban