Author Topic: Old Chapel Yard, Friargate, Preston  (Read 4037 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old Chapel Yard, Friargate, Preston
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Yours sounds a totally fascinating history ... my folk all very boring, even when RC /Protstant troubles in Lancs, one half were one, and one half t'other, and somehow nothing really nasty seemed to happen to either ... did they hide each other under the bed???
Lancs Records Office at Preston could be very helpful to you, I'm sure. It'll be mid January at least before I get there again, but if there's any info you want that can wait so long......
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi,Yorky. Thanks for the offer. May take you up on it. I'm over 100 miles away. Relatives in Lancs , so I visit. Spent 2 days in Lancs Archives in July, reading wills. Went to a small archive too, run by a voluntary heritage group. Also day trip with Catholic FHS, NW branch; all v. informative & inspiring. :)
I didn't find a will of my yeoman ancestor (d.1790) . Later investigation of Lancs Archives catalogue discovered it among George 111 Court Rolls: Catholic Wills, with 2 earlier ones. I have will of son of aforesaid yeoman. Estate  "amounted to less than  £1000" . IMO that was a respectable sum 200 years ago. A Protestant neighbour & distant relative, with a much bigger property, died same era, possessed of £3,500. He was Churchwarden & Overseer of the Poor. Once I've "tidied up"  18thC I'm hoping to trace those families back. Their ancestor occupied the land  in 1580.  Leases and other documents are in County Archives. Yeoman's daughter moved to Preston in 19thC where 2 of her sons were corn dealers. Those were my grandmother's ancestors. grand                                                                       
 Scottish ancestor who married at St. Ignatius Church belongs to my grandfather. I suspect opposition to  marriage. He & girlfriend had a baby 2 years earlier who died aged 7 months. They married at end of month in which she became 21. He was a shoemaker and active trade-unionist. 2 of his colleagues went to prison; his name featured in evidence. He was very active  in Preston but his beginning & end are a mystery. He's a brick wall. St. Ignatius registers are in the Archives.

You may be right about hiding R.C. friends & relations "under the bed". A theory is that in strongly Catholic counties like Lancashire people didn't want to "finger" their neighbours. Even some of those responsible for drawing up lists of Recusants resented the prospect of Catholic landowners being replaced by "foreigners" from outside the county, with proceeds of sale going to Gov't. Some estates were bought by friends of  former owner who then formed a trust for the heir. Catholic landowners, in turn, protected their Catholic tenants & servants.  Lancashire is fortunately, a long way from London.  :) 
Cowban

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 08 December 16 16:40 GMT (UK) »
I seriously think my recusant and other  mob did hide each other, somehow. Most were firmly protestant, but some were "done" for being the "wrong" religion.
As I said, I've pencilled in mid January for Preston Records office, nearer the time, if you pm me with details about what you'd like me to try and sort through, I'll have a go. Furthest back I can get any of my lot really firmly is about 1580s, too. Before that it'd be educated guessing, - not firm fact.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 08 December 16 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Threlfall Yorky. I'll have a think. My priorities are the end of the Scottish GGGGF and the beginning of his namesake grandson which were both 19thC. I hope they are in St. Ignatius register.
Cowban

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 09 December 16 16:05 GMT (UK) »
As I said - p.m. me in the early part of January, and we'll see if I can be of any help.
TY

Offline colcol

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 25 May 17 07:20 BST (UK) »
I love the history of friargate I lived at number 6 for 4 years in the 1960 now in Australia for 50 years
what a shame this had to go . you should not call yourself Proud Preston. its ok to progress but do not
wipe out all the past. wack up you government veggys