Author Topic: Simon BARNES and Sarah Ann DEWSON (and various other spellings)  (Read 734 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Simon BARNES and Sarah Ann DEWSON (and various other spellings)
« on: Saturday 03 December 16 14:23 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to tie up some loose ends in this family group but am stumped, so would be grateful if anyone fancies a look. I have quite a lot of info on the family so have put together a time line in the hope that it helps.

Essentially, I am looking for 3 things:
- what happened to Simon Barnes after the 1881 census – I can find no mention of him after 1881, though there is a possible death in Pontypridd in 1908, aged 72 so this death matches the age, but if he was no longer with Sarah Ann, there isn’t likely to anything on the death certificate to confirm or deny that he is the Simon I’m looking for (unless the occupation makes it unlikely – he was a labourer on the censuses and Louisa’s birth certificate).

- who the child Catherine M Brooks in 1901 can be (I initially assumed it was a step-daughter of Sarah Ann’s but as she was born in Blaenrhondda, the same as Sarah Ann’s youngest daughter Martha, I’m wondering if she was actually Sarah Ann’s)

- and not a major worry, but I’d like to find out more about William Brooks, Sarah Ann’s final husband, born London around 1843, though I guess I’ll need to buy their marriage cert to see who his father was (hadn’t originally planned to do so as not a direct ancestor)

An earlier topic, looking essentially for the birth of Louisa Barnes, daughter of Simon and Sarah Ann, but which found a lot of the early info on Sarah Ann, is here http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=653579.0

Many thanks.

TIMELINE:
1836 - Simon was born around 1836 to Louisa Barnes, a single woman, in Presteleigh, Doulting, Somerset; baptised on 26 June 1836.
14 Oct 1840 – Simon’s mother Louisa died of pleurisy, leaving Simon with his grandparents William and Martha (1841 census)
23 Jan 1842 - Sarah Ann Dewson, born in Bristol to Benjamin, a mariner, and Sarah, formerly Andrews
1851 – Sarah Ann is with her grandparents Henry and Hester Andrews (and Sarah’s sister Hester) in Bristol [Class: HO107; Piece: 1947; Folio: 44; Page: 33]; Simon Barnes is a servant in Shepton Mallett
1861 – Sarah Ann and sister Hester with their mother Sarah, still in Bristol [Class: RG 9; Piece: 1712; Folio: 119; Page: 35]; Simon Barns (without the ‘e’) is a labourer, lodging in Llantrisant [Class: RG9; Piece: 4043; Folio: 3; Page: 7]
June 1864 – Elizabeth Hall Dueson born in Bristol (found on FreeBMD and Ancestry but not on the new GRO index)
SepQ 1864 – marriage of Sarah Ann Deuson to Henry Hall in Bristol
Dec 1864 – death of Elizabeth Hall Duson (Bristol)
1871 census – Sarah Ann Hall, Henry Newton Hall and Sarah Ann Hall (aged 6 months), plus presumably Sarah Ann’s mother transcribed as Sarah Ann Deacon, in Bedminster [Class: RG10; Piece: 2509; Folio: 47; Page: 4] Not found Simon in 1871
Oct 1873 – death of Sarah Ann Hall, aged 3 in Pontypridd (not confirmed as their daughter but looks quite likely….)
Oct 1875 – birth of William Barnes, Treherbert, Ystradyfodwg (no certificate, but on 1881 census, not found after that so far; EDITED TO ADD probable death aged 7 in Q1 1883, found by Mabel)
27 Dec 1876 – birth of Louisa Barnes, Treherbert, daughter of Simon Barnes and Sarah Ann Barnes, formerly Dewson [Louisa is my husband’s great great grandmother and we have everything on her and her family]
April 1879 – birth of Simon Barnes, Treherbert
19 July 1879 – death of Simon Barnes, aged 4 months, son of Simon Barnes, who registered the death
Oct 1880 – birth of Benjamin Barnes
12 Feb 1881 – death of Benjamin Barnes, aged 4 months, son of Simon Barnes, informant Sarah Ann Barnes, mother
1881 census – Simon and Sarah Barnes with children William and Louisa, in Ystradyfodwg [Class: RG11; Piece: 5301; Folio: 6; Page: 24]
25 Jun 1882 – birth of Martha Barnes, Blaenrhondda; I haven’t got Martha’s birth certificate but presumably Simon Barnes would be named as the father (if anyone) as she was given the Barnes surname
2 Oct 1882 – marriage of Sarah Ann Hall, widow, from Treherbert, father Benjamin Dewson, deceased, sailor, married James Heath
1891 census – Sarah Ann Heath, James Heath, and her children Louisa and Martha are in Ystradyfodwg [Class: RG12; Piece: 4421; Folio: 3; Page: 3]
MarQ 1894 – possible death of James Heath
DecQ 1895 – Sarah Ann Heath married William Brooks
1901 census – Sarah Ann at 56 Coedpenmaen Rd, Pontypridd with Catherine M Brooks, aged 10, born Blaenrhondda. Husband William not there. [Class: RG13; Piece: 4998; Folio: 41; Page: 4]
1901 MarQ - possible death of Henry Newton Hall (Sarah Ann's first husband) in Bedminster, aged 61
1911 census – Sarah Ann still at 56 Coedpenmaen Rd, William is there this time [Class: RG14; Piece: 32221; Schedule Number: 40] The marriage info on the return – on William’s line – says 16 years married which agrees with the 1895 marriage, 10 children, 9 still alive – but Sarah Ann was 53 when they married).
6 Oct 1917 – death of Sarah Ann’s husband William Brooks
27 Aug 1921 – death of Sarah Ann Brooks at 115 Coedpenmaen Rd, informant L Brooks (daughter – this is her daughter Louisa who married an un-related Joseph Brooks)
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Simon BARNES and Sarah Ann DEWSON (and various other spellings)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 December 16 18:52 GMT (UK) »
who the child Catherine M Brooks in 1901 can be (I initially assumed it was a step-daughter of Sarah Ann’s but as she was born in Blaenrhondda, the same as Sarah Ann’s youngest daughter Martha, I’m wondering if she was actually Sarah Ann’s)

Have you used the GRO maiden name facility to establish her mothers maiden name?

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 December 16 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole, thanks. Sorry, thought i'd included that above..... tried the new GRO index looking for Brooks, Heath, Barnes, Duson / Dewson and also freebmd for all Catherine M.... born in Pontypridd reg district for 2 years either side of 1891 but nothing jumps out.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 December 16 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Just to pick up on "Oct 1875 – birth of William Barnes, Treherbert, Ystradyfodwg (no certificate, but on 1881 census, not found after that so far)"

William Barnes
Q1 1883 Pontypridd Vol 11a, p    277
Age at Death:    7

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 December 16 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Gosh thanks Mabel, how did i miss that?  ::)

Edited: have only just bought the (pdf) death certs for Benjamin and Simon.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 January 17 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Sadly, the new GRO index has thrown up 3 more baby births and deaths for Sarah Ann - with her first husband, Henry Newton Hall...
Florence, born Dec quarter 1868, Bedminster, died Dec quarter 1869
Elizabeth, born and died March quarter 1872, Bedminster
William Newton Hall, born and died March quarter 1873, Bedminster.

So William died sometime early in 1873 and Sarah presumably leaves her husband, taking the only surviving child Sarah Ann with her, then Sarah Ann died later that year, aged 3.

Sarah Ann now has had 10 known children, only 2 of whom survived past childhood. Of the 2, Martha married and had one child who died the same quarter as her birth.

That leaves just Louisa, who had 8 children, only 3 of whom lived til a good age (one died as baby, one aged 15, one aged 26, one at 27,  one at 28, and the others at 54, 79 and 80).

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 April 17 17:33 BST (UK) »
In order to try and take this puzzle further, I ordered the death certs of Simon Barnes, Sarah Ann's mother (Sarah Ann Dueson), and her daughter (Sarah Ann Hall). These are shown in red in the updated timeline in the next post. The green entries add in the additional births to Sarah Ann and Henry Hall, while the blue addition is the marriage of Louisa Barnes.

The death cert for Simon Barnes doesn't confirm or deny that he is the Simon Barnes that I'm looking for, though as it doesn't mention a wife, is the right age, and similar occupation and residence to what was known, it looks good. I can't find anything to connect Simon to the informant so I guess Simon was a lodger.

The certs for Sarah Ann Dueson and Sarah Ann Hall confirm them as 'ours' but there is the interesting informant on Sarah Ann Hall's death, ie Samuel Barnes (though I wasn't expecting it to be Simon Barnes either only a few months after the birth and death of Sarah Ann's youngest child with her husband Henry Hall :o ).

What a complicated family  ???

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 April 17 17:33 BST (UK) »
continued from above post...
TIMELINE:
1836 - Simon was born around 1836 to Louisa Barnes, a single woman, in Prestleigh, Doulting, Somerset; baptised on 26 June 1836.
14 Oct 1840 – Simon’s mother Louisa died of pleurisy, leaving Simon with his grandparents William and Martha (1841 census)
23 Jan 1842 - Sarah Ann Dewson, born in Bristol to Benjamin, a mariner, and Sarah, formerly Andrews
1851 – Sarah Ann is with her grandparents Henry and Hester Andrews (and Sarah’s sister Hester) in Bristol [Class: HO107; Piece: 1947; Folio: 44; Page: 33]; Simon Barnes is a servant in Shepton Mallett
1861 – Sarah Ann and sister Hester with their mother Sarah, still in Bristol [Class: RG 9; Piece: 1712; Folio: 119; Page: 35]; Simon Barns (without the ‘e’) is a labourer, lodging in Llantrisant [Class: RG9; Piece: 4043; Folio: 3; Page: 7]
June 1864 – Elizabeth Hall Dueson born in Bristol (found on FreeBMD and Ancestry but not on the new GRO index)
SepQ 1864 – marriage of Sarah Ann Deuson to Henry Hall in Bristol
Dec 1864 – death of Elizabeth Hall Duson (Bristol)
DecQ 1868 - birth and death of Florence Hall, Bedminster, Somerset
1871 census – Sarah Ann Hall, Henry Newton Hall and Sarah Ann Hall (aged 6 months), plus presumably Sarah Ann’s mother transcribed as Sarah Ann Deacon, in Bedminster [Class: RG10; Piece: 2509; Folio: 47; Page: 4] Not found Simon in 1871
Jan 1872 - birth of Elizabeth Hall, death MarQ 1872, Bedminster, Somerset
MarQ 1873 - birth and death of William Newton Hall, Bedminster, Somerset
12 Oct 1873 – death of Sarah Ann Hall, aged 3, in Treherbert, Ystradyfodwg, daughter of Henry Hall, basket maker; informant: SAMUEL Barnes, in attendance, Treherbert
Oct 1875 – birth of William Barnes, Treherbert, Ystradyfodwg, died aged 7 in Q1 1883
Dec 1876 – birth of Louisa Barnes, Treherbert, daughter of Simon Barnes and Sarah Ann Barnes, formerly Dewson [Louisa is my husband’s great great grandmother and we have everything on her and her family]
April 1879 – birth of Simon Barnes, Treherbert
19 July 1879 – death of Simon Barnes, aged 4 months, son of Simon Barnes, who registered the death
Oct 1880 – birth of Benjamin Barnes
12 Feb 1881 – death of Benjamin Barnes, aged 4 months, son of Simon Barnes, informant Sarah Ann Barnes, mother
1881 census – Simon, a labourer, and Sarah Barnes with children William and Louisa, in Ystradyfodwg [Class: RG11; Piece: 5301; Folio: 6; Page: 24]
25 Jun 1882 – birth of Martha Barnes, Blaenrhondda; I haven’t got Martha’s birth certificate but presumably Simon Barnes would be named as the father (if anyone) as she was given the Barnes surname
2 Oct 1882 – marriage of Sarah Ann Hall, widow, from Treherbert, father Benjamin Dewson, deceased, sailor, married James Heath
10 May 1887 - death of Sarah Ann's mother, Sarah Dueson, in Blaenrhondda, informant James Heath, son-in-law
1891 census – Sarah Ann Heath, James Heath, and her children Louisa and Martha Barnes are in Ystradyfodwg [Class: RG12; Piece: 4421; Folio: 3; Page: 3]
MarQ 1894 – possible death of James Heath, aged 50
DecQ 1895 – Sarah Ann Heath married William Brooks
26 Dec 1896 - marriage of Louisa Barnes and Joseph Brooks at Pontypridd register office. Added to the timeline as Louisa's father was named as Samuel Barnes which I assumed was a mistake, but a Samuel Barnes registered the death of Sarah Ann's daughter Sarah Ann Hall in 1873
1901 census – Sarah Ann at 56 Coedpenmaen Rd, Pontypridd with Catherine M Brooks, aged 10, born Blaenrhondda. Husband William not there. [Class: RG13; Piece: 4998; Folio: 41; Page: 4]
1901 MarQ - possible death of Henry Newton Hall (Sarah Ann's first husband) in Bedminster, aged 61
2 Jul 1908 - death of Simon Barnes at 6 Morgan St, Mountain Ash, aged 72, formerly a stone breaker. Informant: Samuel John Hawkins, of 6 Morgan Street
1911 census – Sarah Ann still at 56 Coedpenmaen Rd, William is there this time [Class: RG14; Piece: 32221; Schedule Number: 40]. The marriage info on the return – on William’s line – says 16 years married which agrees with the 1895 marriage, 10 children, 9 still alive – but Sarah Ann was 53 when they married).
6 Oct 1917 – death of Sarah Ann’s husband William Brooks
27 Aug 1921 – death of Sarah Ann Brooks at 115 Coedpenmaen Rd, informant L Brooks (daughter – this is her daughter Louisa who married an un-related Joseph Brooks)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 April 17 17:36 BST (UK) »
And I've just found a baptism for Martha Barnes, aged 9 (6 Dec 1891), listing father as Samuel - again not Simon  ??? - a blocklayer.

This was after her mother's marriage to James Heath  ???