Author Topic: Reginald William Such  (Read 762 times)

Offline LEMB

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Reginald William Such
« on: Saturday 03 December 16 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

i've been trying to find more information on my family tree and have come across Reginald Such :)

we have his war medals at home from WW2, dated from 1939-1945,
one is a "defence medal" and one is a "war medal 1939-45"..
the paper that came with the medals, to tell you what they are/what you received came in a box with O.H.M.S on it?

does any one know what this means? or does anyone know any more information for Reginald? i'm trying to find pictures too!?

thank you,
Lauren

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Reginald William Such
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 December 16 15:55 GMT (UK) »
OHMS -On His/Her Majestys service

His service records will still be with the Ministry of Defence
https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/overview
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 December 16 16:54 GMT (UK) »
I can only find one Reginald William Such in Cheshire -and he served in WW1 - maybe he also rejoined in WW2 but that is just a guess on my part.

there is Reginald William Such
birth reg Jun qtr 1883 Northwich registration district
there is a marriage FreeBMD Reginald William Such and Esther L Ikin Dec qtr 1912 Northwich
I can only find one child born to this couple
Lucy Such mother's maiden name Ikin Sept qtr 1914 Northwich FreeBMD

Reginald William Such served in WW1  and was presented with the British War medal and the Victory medal
He was a Private in Army Servic Corps  no M2/191218
I suspect the medals you have from WW2 may be for the same Reginald William Such and he maybe had enrolled in the Home Guards -as the Home Guards were presented with the Defence medal -it may be worth checking this out as if we have the correct person he would have been age c.56 at outbreak of WW2 so would have possibly been suited to the Home Guards -as he had experience of service in WW1.
this is possibly his probate
Reginald William Such of 1688 Wharton Rd Winsford Cheshire died 18 Jan 1961 at Holmcroft Arclick nr Sandbach Probate Manchester 9 Feb to Lucy Such, spinster Effects £1948 16s 4d

Lucy Such was his daughter
If she never married this is possibly her probate
Lucy Such of 34 Ledward St Winsford Cheshire died 22 July 1986 Probate Manchester 30 Oct effects not exceeding £40000

May be worth checking out

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AdrianB38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 December 16 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Certainly Home Guard members would receive the Defence Medal if they served for 3y between specific dates.

Not so sure about the 1939-45 War Medal - http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/britishguide/war_1939_1945.htm says "Awarded to all full time service personnel who had completed 28 days service between 3rd September 1939 and the 2nd September 1945". (My italics). Home Guard were not full time, so if it is the same RWS then he may have been in the Army (called up Territorials???) for at least that 28d.

Offline LEMB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 December 16 20:05 GMT (UK) »
I can only find one Reginald William Such in Cheshire -and he served in WW1 - maybe he also rejoined in WW2 but that is just a guess on my part.

there is Reginald William Such
birth reg Jun qtr 1883 Northwich registration district
there is a marriage FreeBMD Reginald William Such and Esther L Ikin Dec qtr 1912 Northwich
I can only find one child born to this couple
Lucy Such mother's maiden name Ikin Sept qtr 1914 Northwich FreeBMD

Reginald William Such served in WW1  and was presented with the British War medal and the Victory medal
He was a Private in Army Servic Corps  no M2/191218
I suspect the medals you have from WW2 may be for the same Reginald William Such and he maybe had enrolled in the Home Guards -as the Home Guards were presented with the Defence medal -it may be worth checking this out as if we have the correct person he would have been age c.56 at outbreak of WW2 so would have possibly been suited to the Home Guards -as he had experience of service in WW1.
this is possibly his probate
Reginald William Such of 1688 Wharton Rd Winsford Cheshire died 18 Jan 1961 at Holmcroft Arclick nr Sandbach Probate Manchester 9 Feb to Lucy Such, spinster Effects £1948 16s 4d

Lucy Such was his daughter
If she never married this is possibly her probate
Lucy Such of 34 Ledward St Winsford Cheshire died 22 July 1986 Probate Manchester 30 Oct effects not exceeding £40000

May be worth checking out

Suz

Hello,

from what i know of Reginald, he married a women called Eleanor! i've seen records of Esther but i'm really not sure if its the right record, or if Eleanor was just a nickname for "Esther".

if the record is wrong, are the world war records still the correct ones? everything sounds so spot on, Reginald did live in winsford but i have no idea if he had a daughter or if he died in sandbach, which if he did, i wonder why sandbach and not winsford! i will have to see if i can find out more information.

thank you so much for the help sofar!! :)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 00:43 GMT (UK) »
where did you find the name "Eleanor"
I cannot find a record of Reginald William Such marrying an Eleanor - only of Esther L Ikin

This looks like her birth reg freeBMD
Esther Louisa Iken
Mar qtr 1883
Northwich reg district
8a 286

and here she is in 1891
42 Ledward St Wharton Cheshire (this falls within Northwich reg district)
Thomas Iken Head M 34 Boiler Maker
Ann wife 39 Over Cheshire
Alice daughter 13
Ada daughter 10
ESTHER LOUISA daughter 8
James A son 3mths
Thomas & children all b Wharton
RG12 2841 119 4

this looks like her death reg FreeBMD
Esther L Such
age 63
Mar qtr 1946
Northwich
8a 453

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk