Author Topic: adoption records  (Read 3596 times)

Offline lisingreece

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: adoption records
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 December 16 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for continuing to help in this. No I am going to ask if I can send for the marriage cert, then we'll maybe know if Edward is his father.
I can see how this misunderstanding by the family has arisen, but am not sure his present day family will understand this.
My grandmother told me a story which turned out to be untrue, memory plays tricks and people joke.
As soon as I have more info I'll come back to you.
Thank you for helping me
Lis
Bailey, Stickells,  Marshall,  Hope, Morris, Wratten, Hope,  Knowler, Lonkhurst,  Gower,  Ratcliffe, Newport,  Boulden,  Stokes,  Beverley, Law, Lushington,  Parham,  Thorpe,  Piddleden,  Swaffer, Wide, Wood,  Austen, Eastes,  Hulke,  Banes, Hadley, Denne, Mullet, Dove, Mackney,all in Kent

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 December 16 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi
You have shown the family Alfred's army records which have his place of birth as Wakefield?
It was Arthur who gave all the information on his attestation to the authorities so it appears he knew he was not born in Ireland. Maybe he thought it was a more romantic notion to be born in Ireland. Sometimes a little exaggeration becomes a fact.
Also at sometime  Alfred acquired the middle name of James. It isn't on his birth reg on FreeBMD so maybe it was added at his baptism or by his adoptive parents or by Alfred himself. It is being used on his marriage in1909.
I see that the transcriber for the marriage entry on FreeBMD have his surname as Bickeston but on the original typewritten image it is Bickerton.
If you are ordering the marriage certificate I would use just Miriam's name so you don't run in to any problems.

Offline lisingreece

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 December 16 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Wow Crisane, thank you for all of that. I will do as you suggest and order the cert for Miriam, and hope Alfred has a father!!!

LIs
Bailey, Stickells,  Marshall,  Hope, Morris, Wratten, Hope,  Knowler, Lonkhurst,  Gower,  Ratcliffe, Newport,  Boulden,  Stokes,  Beverley, Law, Lushington,  Parham,  Thorpe,  Piddleden,  Swaffer, Wide, Wood,  Austen, Eastes,  Hulke,  Banes, Hadley, Denne, Mullet, Dove, Mackney,all in Kent

Offline lisingreece

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 December 16 17:25 GMT (UK) »
The marriage cert for Miriam is in now and Alfred James has Edward Bickerton as a father just as we thought.
In 1911 Edward is living with Sarah, they had been married 1 year no children. I cannot find this marriage.
Maybe some one can?
thankyou, and happy  new year!!!! and happy Christmas
Lis

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 23 December 16 06:46 GMT (UK) »
I realise that you said they had been married one year on the 1911 but there is this marriage for an Edward & Sarah

Marriage March qtr 1911
Edward Bickerton   
Sarah Mulraney   
Middlesbro reg district    9d   848
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lisingreece

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 23 December 16 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Rosie99, they could have lived together for a year or didn't know how to record that. My grandparents confused me that way too.
thank you and happy Christmas
Lis