Author Topic: Need advice on next steps - family mystery  (Read 3014 times)

Offline Leah123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Need advice on next steps - family mystery
« Reply #18 on: Monday 05 December 16 11:59 GMT (UK) »
The Ethel Gladys Amos of 9 Crow Hill Road, Margate died 30th June 1985 according to the probate calendar.  You could apply for her will to see if your grandfather was mentioned  :-\

I believe that she was Ethel Gladys Minton who married Robert Romney Amos in 1921

Many thanks. I'd found her address on Crow Hill Road but that was about it so thanks for the further information. I don't think there is a familial connection so it'd be interesting to see whether she was a professional foster mother or something like that.

Offline Leah123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 05 December 16 12:03 GMT (UK) »
but there's no hint of him or his sister (her whereabouts is another mystery entirely!) at this point.

Which sister? The one who marries John Burkel or the one who disappears off to India?!!

The sister who disappears off to India! For my entire childhood this was another mystery entirely as granddad sometimes spoke about how he carelessly lost a sister in India but thankfully we solved this one a few years ago. To the best of my knowledge, they were together until some time during the War where my grandfather is evacuated to Stafford.

Offline Leah123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 05 December 16 12:06 GMT (UK) »
I can only see your 'Eric G Sidebotham' on freebmd GRO index so could this be him in 1947/8/9 electoral register

531 Welbeck Road, Newcastle on Tyne
George Bell
Jane Bell
Eric G Sidebotham

I think you could be correct. My grandfather never mentioned living in Newcastle but it would be just like him to assume that we already knew. It's certainly not a common name so I think this must be him

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 05 December 16 12:17 GMT (UK) »
but there's no hint of him or his sister (her whereabouts is another mystery entirely!) at this point.

Which sister? The one who marries John Burkel or the one who disappears off to India?!!

The sister who disappears off to India! For my entire childhood this was another mystery entirely as granddad sometimes spoke about how he carelessly lost a sister in India but thankfully we solved this one a few years ago. To the best of my knowledge, they were together until some time during the War where my grandfather is evacuated to Stafford.

Did you see this bit?
There is a newspaper article in the Thanet Advertiser telling of successes of students from Clarendon House School, Ramsgate (evacuated to Stafford).  Receiving her Higher School Certificate is one Ellen F Sidebotham (article 15th Sept 1942)

I believe that Clarendon House School still exists in some form, so it might be worth contacting them to see if during the war, they also took boys in the school, and if not was there a local grammar school for boys who also got evacuated to Stafford?

Offline Leah123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 05 December 16 12:24 GMT (UK) »
There is a newspaper article in the Thanet Advertiser telling of successes of students from Clarendon House School, Ramsgate (evacuated to Stafford).  Receiving her Higher School Certificate is one Ellen F Sidebotham (article 15th Sept 1942)

That's amazing! He always said she was a clever cookie and went to grammar school in Ramsgate so this is perfect! My grandfather on the other hand attended grammar school in Margate - any ideas which school this could be?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 05 December 16 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Was he a publican when he was at the Happy Landing, Stanwell in 1960 or just lodging there  :-\  Also there was his wife Rita &  Irene & Kenneth Smith.

What was his occupation when he married
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 05 December 16 12:42 GMT (UK) »
There doesn't appear to be a grammar school in Margate that I can find, but it might be worth giving Margate Library a ring and seeing if they know of one that existed previously (their telephone number is 03000 41 31 31, according to Mr Google!  Although I think that might actually be a central number for Kent County Council - you'll have to ask to be put through)

ETA:  it looks as though Chatham House School was the boys grammar school counterpart to the girls Clarendon House School - now merged.  Again, it is perhaps worth contacting the school to see if they have any admission records available.  Kent History and Library Centre might be a good bet - they can be contacted on the phone number given above too.

Offline Leah123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 05 December 16 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Was he a publican when he was at the Happy Landing in 1960 or just lodging there  :-\  Also there was his wife Rita &  Irene & Kenneth Smith.

What was his occupation when he married

Now we're getting to the stage where we know his whereabouts! My grandparents were both publicans right up until the late 1980s so they can be found in subsequent electoral registers and the like fairly easily after 1959. It's the mystery period between 1936 and '59 that baffles us!

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 05 December 16 12:59 GMT (UK) »
I was just wondering if that was his occupation before that  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk