Author Topic: Need advice on next steps - family mystery  (Read 3017 times)

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Need advice on next steps - family mystery
« Reply #27 on: Monday 05 December 16 13:00 GMT (UK) »
The only boys grammar school in the Thanet area (Margate/Ramsgate/Broadstairs) during that time period was -

Chatham House Grammar School
Chatham Street
Ramsgate
Kent
CT11 7PS
Phone: 01843 591075

It has now joined with Clarendon House Grammar School (for girls) which I attended and known as Chatham and Clarendon Grammar School.  Pupils from Chatham House Grammar School were evacuated to Uttoxeter, Staffordshire, as far as I can recall.

Tony's wife

Offline Leah123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 05 December 16 13:38 GMT (UK) »
I was just wondering if that was his occupation before that  :)

Ah apologies. Serves me right for trying to read this on my phone! My grandfather was a salesman for a fridge company (glamorous I know...) when he met my grandmother in the mid 1950s. Again, how he made the jump from that to publican is another mystery, there's certainly no tradition of it on either side of the family.

After the war finished he began an apprenticeship in Croydon but I'm unsure what that was for.

Offline Leah123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 05 December 16 13:39 GMT (UK) »
There doesn't appear to be a grammar school in Margate that I can find, but it might be worth giving Margate Library a ring and seeing if they know of one that existed previously (their telephone number is 03000 41 31 31, according to Mr Google!  Although I think that might actually be a central number for Kent County Council - you'll have to ask to be put through)

ETA:  it looks as though Chatham House School was the boys grammar school counterpart to the girls Clarendon House School - now merged.  Again, it is perhaps worth contacting the school to see if they have any admission records available.  Kent History and Library Centre might be a good bet - they can be contacted on the phone number given above too.

Brilliant! I've dropped the school and email so fingers crossed they have something!

Offline Leah123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 05 December 16 13:40 GMT (UK) »
The only boys grammar school in the Thanet area (Margate/Ramsgate/Broadstairs) during that time period was -

Chatham House Grammar School
Chatham Street
Ramsgate
Kent
CT11 7PS
Phone: 01843 591075

It has now joined with Clarendon House Grammar School (for girls) which I attended and known as Chatham and Clarendon Grammar School.  Pupils from Chatham House Grammar School were evacuated to Uttoxeter, Staffordshire, as far as I can recall.

Tony's wife

Thank you so much! I've just contacted the school so hopefully they know a little more